[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: proxy-image.jpg (272 KB, 1280x720)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
>I have purposely taught them wrong
>as a joke
>>
If tutorial makers taught you how to do things correctly, they would work themselves out of their job. The name of the game is to promise and never deliver.
>>
If Blender developers went in and fixed 20 years old bugs instead of adding useless with more bugs, then people would be happy. They would use the software productively and would stop donating. It would be a disaster.
>>
>>981946
What did he taught wrong?
His tutorial is mostly a "tour" through some of blender tools, so the user can get their feet wet with the software, before actually embarking on learning each tool in-depth.
>>
>>981953
That's the right word. You embark people, then when you are about to get to the destination you find out that the tool is bugged and will not deliver. But wait. Some developers are already working on another tool which will solve the problem with the previous tool, so let's embark again.
>>
>>981953
>What did he taught wrong?
he tricked the unwashed masses into using Blender in the first place
>>
>>981946
Why is he the only tutorial man around. Is there anyone better?
>>
>>982014
He is a meme, there's a lot of better tutorial YouTubers
>>
File: rope_tutorial.png (186 KB, 480x360)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>
>>982026
He's a good teac
>>
>>982017
Like who? Can you link?
>>
>>982044
https://www.youtube.com/@PonteRyuurui
Because he's entertaining. Everybody else bores me to tears and chokes me with rainbow dust. I also think he's a good instructor for modeling but I'm into animation.
>>
One day remind me to tell you the story of the very early Blender Guru because I think it's been erased but I remember it. It goes way back before youtube. The guy is a genuine jackass and he's always been.
>>
>>982044
My favourite one is Gr
>>
>>982053
Gr?
>>
>>982054
probably talking about grant abbitt
>>
>>982055
>>982054
This website is brok
>>
>>982055
Grant Abbott is good don't get me wrong but I was referring to G
>>
>>982096
Are you G?
>>
>>982115
My post keeps getting cut out, I refer to Gr
>>
>>982096
>G
The "Guru of Blender" aka "Blender Guru"?
Yes, he is a top G, indeed
>>
>>982131
No, The yiutu
>>
>>982131
I'm referring to Gr
>>
>>982026
This is unironically your future if you watch his "tutorials"
>>
>>981957
>>981962
so this is just a blender hate thread
yup go it
>>
They all are great, but blender guru is just more basic, like a wizard master who teach you little tricks and doesn't tell you about hangouts he has with dormamu. But still he is good
>>
>>982325
>so this is just a blender hate thread
blender & doughnut grifter
>>
>>982048
TELL US. TELL US NOW.
>>
>>982433
lmao all you people care about is muh job, you have no soul
I love 3D as a hobby and with the hope of one day finishing my indie game
>>
>>982048
TELL US NOW!
>>
>>982433
Are you the only employed Blender user?
>>982445
>indie game
I hope it's a game about 3D doughnuts
>>
>>982047
Tried this guy's "Hard Surface Modeling Jumpstart" course on his blenderbros site.
It was fine until the addon video, then he went:
>"click here....then click this....then click that...close this section, that will help us"
You don't learn anything here, he just changed like 20 things without explaining the viewer WHAT were they doing and how much they impact future work.
You could be enabling settings that will SCREW whatever you try to do later and you would be none the wiser!

Everyone on this board loves to shit on donut guy, but at least he knows how to teach, which is a skill very few people that are knowledgeable in a field can do.

Now i'll have to spend at least 2 hours searching what each single setting the hard surface tutorial/course changed to know what do they even do.
>>
>>982446
Ok, so, it was around the time of Blender 2.4x Video tutorials were a new thing and people loved them. People also hated the original Blender UI for the most part because it looked fugly compared to every other software.
So one day Andrew, as the well thought out person he is, decided to go on a video doughnut tutorial strike (the first and only in recorded human history) and press his thumb against the Blender Foundation to demand a better UI.
...wait for part 2
>>
>>982468
The day he would usually post a new tutorial on his website came but this time, instead of the usual doughnut, it was an an hour long ultimatum to the Blender Foundation.
He started pointing out (with the help of infographics) how non-compliant Blender's UI was with the latest Microsoft Usability Guidelines (or whatever that thing has called I don't remember) and he stated that that was problem.
He also stated that if the Blender people refused to listen to his demands, he would have found it difficult to continue to make tutorials for Blender and that he would have had to move his operations to another software (which was implied to be Cinema 4D I think).
...wait for part 3
>>
>>982472
But Andrew is a reasonable person and as such he had a proposal. One that the Blender Foundation couldn't refuse in order to avoid Total Tutorial Catastrophe.
So, here was the deal: a TOP TOOL BAR. Blender needed to have one because after all the most used and most sold software at the time had one. Some software like Internet Explorer even had many.
...wait for part 4
>>
>>982477
He presented a mock-up of the toolbar. It would have been a gray box about the size of a quarter of an average screen.
It would have contained pictures such as one of a triangle, one of a cube, one of sphere and so on.
The user would have then moved their pointing devices towards one of those pictures and the corresponding primitive would have been added to the 3D drawing area.
And with that, Andrew's video ended and was presumably submitted to the attention of the relevant people at the Blender Foundation.
...wait for part 5 (conclusion)
>>
>>982482
Another week went by and what happened behind the scenes I don't remember in detail but Andrew was back making video tutorials for Blender like nothing ever happened and to this day, Blender doesn't have a top tool bar.
In conclusion, maybe I'm judging him too harshly but for me after witnessing the events above in person, it's really hard to take anything the guy says or do seriously anymore.
He should have taken the offering he had from Maxon or Autodesk (if he ever had one) and never looked back.
>>
>>982483
You should subscribe to his newsletter. Never have I witnessed a more comprehensive collection of bad takes in one place. It seems he lives on the objectively wrong side of history on everything from crypto/NFTs to AI. Not surprising since his primary grift is selling assets his minions create in the slave mines, replacing them with AI and binding the results in crypto probably gives him a dangerously extended stiffy.
>>
>>982483
this story sounds believable
>>
>>982483
Thanks for the writeup anon. Unfortunately he makes leftists seethe so I'm afraid he's still based.
>>
>>981946
imagine the smell
>>
>>982547
why does blenderguru always look like he hasn't showered for 2 weeks?
>>
>>982548
guru has gotta be busy perfecting his donuts, I mean he's up to his shoulders in work
>>
>>982047
heard a lot of shit about this guy
>>
>>982548
because he's a nazi
>>
>>982551
Shouldn't this board like him if that's the case?
>>
>>982551
Wtf I love blender guru now
>>
>>982689
>people knowing donut man past his donut tutorials
>>
>>982713
I still hate him
>>
>>982445
Hi cris
>>
>>982468
>>982472
>>982477
>>982482
>>982483
Any proof this happened?
>>
>>982901
The only proof I'm going to offer you is that I wish I had the creativity to make that up.
>>
bump
>>
>>982433
>I got a job making 3D donuts for a big studio.
Me too, except they don't pay me

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.