[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3457.jpg (10 KB, 320x320)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
And after a good meal there’s nothing like a good cigarr
>>
>>20461821
true, but pic unrelated I assume?
>>
>>20461840
Huh?
>>
>>20461840
huh?
>>
File: 1704074869294.jpg (67 KB, 478x640)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
I prefer smaller cigars. Not quite a cigarillo, but something that doesn't take a fucking hour to burn. Acid Blondie's are a good size.
>>
If I've never had tobacco before, what type of product should I be looking for when I go to the shop?
>>
>>20462660
Depends. A pipe with pipe tobacco is better for trying a lot of different things, but you have to invest in a decent pipe as well as the tobacco. Cigars are a bit of a commitment in that once you light one up it's going to be a much longer experience which if you decide you don't like it is a bit more of a waste. ACID Blondie is actually a pretty good choice for a new tobacco user. They're infused with essential oils, and have a sweet flavor that makes them much more comfortable for someone not used to tobacco, but they are much better quality than your typical gas station "cigars" such as Swisher, etc.
>>
File: IMG_3458.jpg (951 KB, 1000x1000)
951 KB
951 KB JPG
>>20461919
Same desu. I like the cigarr feeling but i dont want to suck on it for an hour.

These are absolute crack though
>>
>>20461821
First time I had a cigar I smoked it too fast or something and burnt the shit out of my tongue
>>
>>20461821
along with brandy or limoncello
>>
>>20462716
Odds are it was too dry. It's hard to smoke a cigar "too fast" if it's been kept at the correct humidity. The first time I smoked a cigar, I found a few of my dad's that I found in a random drawer in our garage. I could tell he'd forgotten about them because they were hard, and "crunchy" for lack of a better term. I knew I had to rehydrate them if I wanted them to work correctly, so I kept them in a drawer in my desk with a bowl of water for about a week. After about a week in a confined space with that high humidity they became noticeably softer, like velvet instead of paper. I smoked them in the middle of the football field of our highschool with my friend in the middle of the night one summer.
>>
>>20462744
>It's hard to smoke a cigar "too fast"
This is how I know you know nothing about cigars.
>>
>>20462771
Real aficionados let their sticks dry out for years in random drawers in the garage.
>>
>>20462771
Have you ever smoked a cigar so fast it burns your tongue? The only way I can possibly imagine that happening is if its dry as a bone.
>>
>>20462794
wrong again. You can easily do that even with shitty damp stick you buy at the lounge/cigar shop.
>>
>>20462777
Trips make it true.
>>
>>20462794
It's called tongue bite. It's incredibly common in pipe smoking as well.
>>
>all cuban cigars have at least doubled in price

we didn't know how good we had it bros
>>
>>20462992
>muh cubans cigarinos!
>Piss poor consistency.
>Piss poor construction.
>Mass produced to squeeze every last chinamans penny.
>So rushed they don't bother properly aging, let alone fermentation their tobacco.
>Retail flooded with fakes, some now even using real but stolen bands.
>Half the boxes come with mold or cracked cigars.
>Need to age for years in order for the shit green tobacco flavor to dissipate.
>Boring smoking experience because there is no real transitions and change in flavors through the stick.
>New World cigars have not only caught up to the glory days of cuban tobacco, they have surpassed it.
>Most of the best cigars are made outside of Cuba by actual Cuban families who took the knowledge and experience with them.
>Cuban tobacco now plagued by blight and fungus strains.
>The legendary El Corojo tobacco which made Cubans so great in the past is extinct.
>Cuban soil now polluted and depleted of nutrients because of piss poor management.
>Prices unjustified for the shit you have to deal with.
At this point those who cry out 'but zubans are the best cigars!' are just posers with zero knowledge of the way Cuban cigars went down the shitter in recent history.
>>
>>20463119
What are the alternatives these days? Honduras, US?
>>
>>20461919
That's why the half corona exists.
>>
>>20461840
Huh?
>>
>>20463203

Without being a smug, cynical fuck, it's important to know that all the best growers and seeds fled Cuba when Castro took over. Commies are really good at fucking everything up and calling it equality, so they went to Nicaragua, Honduras, Ecuador, DR, etc. The trick is to find a cigar that you like (start with the strength and go from there) then see what else is grown in that country/region. A recent find I've really enjoyed is Leaf by Oscar. It's a stogie wrapped in a tobacco leaf but burns smoothly
>>
>>20463238
Are there any stogies that aren't wrapped in tobacco leaf?
>>
>>20461919
>that label
*rips the entire wrapper off*
>>
>>20463119
whiny contrarian boomer hands typed this

cuban cigars went through a bad spell in the late 90s and early 00s but they've turned it around

it's not that other countries don't also make wonderful cigars now but this is like people who don't drink wine seething about how the french are obsolete
>>
>>20463637

Ha! I meant that it is wrapped in loose cigar leaf.
>>
>tfw cubans are completely legal in my country
>tfw tobacco products are taxed to high heaven (a 20 pack of ciggies is 40$)
>>
>>20463706
I did a box split of the first commercial release of those about a decade ago. Before that they were house cigars. Illusione rex has a similar story but they're way harder to find. Snag some if you ever get the chance.
>>
>>20462689
>but you have to invest in a decent pipe as well as the tobacco
Untrue. My best smoker is a $10 corncob I've had for over five years. Pipes are the most civilized smoke, it's a shame they're going the way of the dodo thanks to vapes and the constant siege on tobacco in general.
>>
For me it's Nicaraguan 'baccy
>>
tastes like shit, smells like shit, makes you feel like shit, you don't take it back
the fucks the point
>>
>>20463750
once you get over the "makes you feel like shit" part (because you feel like shit all the time) and once you get over the "smells like shit" part because you're covered in a film of tobacco tar 24/7, it's actually delicious. pretty hard to get over that hump though and I don't recommend it

t. former smoker
>>
>>20463750
You don't inhale pipe or cigar smoke zoomzoom. You also aren't striving to make muh big cloud hahah clap clap like with a vape, the smoke is very cool and mild.
>>
>>20461840
Huh?
>>
>>20463779
Cigarette general is down the hall. You'll find some fellow smelly /fag/s there.
>>
>>20463804
>I smoke something expensive so I don't smell like shit
nice way to announce that women avoided you already
>>
>>20463846
People don't habitually smoke premium cigars. It's an occasional thing. It's hard to smell like smoke and tar 24/7 when you're not smoking a half pack a day, at every given opportunity.
>>
>>20463203
Nicaraguan cigars have always been better
>>
>>20463904
define "occasional" and "premium" because when I was a smoker I had a humidor and I would make trips abroad specifically for the purpose of obtaining cigars, including to cuba. I was smoking a cigar every night and the tobacco shop guys I interacted with had a cigar in their hand or mouth at all times. typical daily smokes would be in the $5 range (this was early to mid '00s) with "splurge" cigars in the $10-20 range, are you one of those people who smokes a gifted fake cohiba twice a year for special occasions? because that's not a real smoker, it's like the relationship most people have with champagne, it's such a rarity that your palate can't register anything other than mild shock at the weird sensations.
>>
File: PXL_20240505_180253733~2.jpg (2.76 MB, 3196x2268)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
>>20463936
I dunno man. I've still got pudgy monsters sitting around from 2013, couple "rare" fuentes, various taa releases over the years and saka's first release after leaving Drew estate. Been waiting all year for a perfect day to light something nice up. I think the last stick I smoked last summer/fall was an opus x phantom. Post humi.
>>
>>20464022
nice stash. as I mentioned before I am ex smoker. the insufferable kind who judges you. I don't own anything like that anymore, not even a lighter

if you're claiming that you can actually taste anything other than "holy shit my tongue and nose are being overloaded" with one or two cigars a year I am not going to believe you, no matter how nice your stash is, but it's a dying industry so good on you for keeping those torcedores employed
>>
>>20463750

I tell everyone that a cigar is medicinal. It's not like you're going to be doing anything except relaxing when you've got a stogie, so it is meditative in a way
>>
>>20464037

>it's a dying industry

Lol

Lmao even
>>
Do you guys pair your cigars with whiskey or rum or what? I don't drink anymore so I'll have a Dr. Pepper (or some variety of it) on the side
>>
>>20464049
whoa a time traveler cool! what stocks should I buy today? by which I mean on monday but you know what I mean, what's the next big thing?
>>
>>20464037
I smoke as many cigars per year as weather permits. I'm not going to waste a good smoke on a shit day. Sounds like the habitual behavior in your fake story was the company those old men enjoyed. That was their "third place".
>keeping those torcedores employed
Last cigars I bought were probably some caldwell AJ Fernandez LLTK in 2019. Maybe a few Romacraft intemperance after that. I don't think I have any impact on the livelihood of factory workers.
>>
>>20461919
>Acid
might as well smoke grandmas potpourri
>>
File: Literallycantstopwinning.jpg (1.13 MB, 3160x1816)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
I'm not a big smoker and only really do it when I travel or go shooting
My favorite brand is charter oak, specifically nicaraguan leaf, but I want to try darker leafs, too
I also think cohiba is good and I had a REALLY good war hawk (I think it was called) once
Pic rel was some local brand in denver when I was visiting for a concert
Rate my taste and give me suggestions. I WILL try them if I can next time I smoke
>>
if you smoke anything other than factory seconds you are a band faggot not a true smoker
>>
>>20463706
I've tried these, they're my cousin's favorite
They're preddy gud desu
>>
>>20463750
I like the taste and the smell
I'm also a fatass so it takes two cigars to even get me dizzy. If I'm not smoking on empty somach and staying hydrated (like a responsible boy) I can easily smoke two with only getting a light high
>>
>>20464523
I smoke plan B cigars among other things
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>20464523
I somewhat agree with this. it's hyperbole of course, but if you are ONLY smoking only prestige-line cigars with the bands on them, you probably can't tell the difference anyway and were just picking your smokes as a social statement. because ultimately the bands just get in the way and are somewhat risky to remove

it's not about being cheap per se, it's about filtering the casuals who just bought the one that had the big advertisement in a marvin shanken rag
>>
>>20464523
If you actually think those are factory seconds you're a tard.
>>
cigarettes are so much more enjoyable
>>
>>20463904
They aren't really meant to be smoked habitually at all imo
one can be a whole pack of cigarettes, inhaling them is like suicide and this is what makes them better than cigarettes because smoking is legitimately a health disaster and if you are supposed to smoke all the time and also inhale?
>>
>>20461821
Smoking fucks up your taste buds.
>>
>>20461840
Huh?
>>
>>20463700
Cuban cigars did have a brief return to quality, but they are pretty bad again. Not as bad as 20 years ago, but still not worth the crazy prices. I've been smoking cigars for 30 years and used to sell them, so I do keep track. Honduras and Nicaragua are where the quality and value are.
>>
File: 1713208035063902.gif (929 KB, 500x375)
929 KB
929 KB GIF
>>20461821
why does smoking have to be so cool but so bad for you? or is that what makes it cool
>>
>>20464054
beer and whiskey.

lately my routine is a 1ish hour stick , one light beer, one ipa, and a glass of whiskey on ice.

after a toro or Churchill and the 3 described beverages I am practically floating.

I pretty much do one cigar a week, Maybe 2 if I have guests, from april to early October. then pretty much none the rest of the year unless I find myself in a comfortable cigar lounge which is rare.
>>
>>20467967
Cigar and pipe tobacco are not (usually) doused in antidessicants and chemicals to keep them shelf stable for decades.
>>
>>20468829
Antidessicants is a moisture absorber though, wouldn't that make the tobacco dry?
>>
File: Meerschaum.jpg (112 KB, 1600x1200)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
I can afford this pipe, yet I can't afford the tobacco to smoke it.
>>
>>20467967

I'm no scientician but I genuinely believe that my weekly cigar ritual actually kept me from getting COVID. Think about it: hot, pungent smoke is not conducive to airborne viruses. Anyway the one week I skipped my cigar I caught the Wuhan Wheeze. COINCIDENCE?
>>
>>20469664

Meerschaums are nice pipes but I've always been partial to Petersons
>>
>>20467194

That's why you should only smoke after a meal. I've never understood the crowd that insists on smoking before for the very reason you mentioned
>>
>>20469674
I went to a cigar lounge through the entire pandemic and I barely felt sick during that period. The owner also never had to close due to sickness
>>
>>20469721

Well that settles it. Better tell the CDC that we have solved the problem
>>
>>20464523

Cigar snobs are the worst. I know that a Diamond Crown or an Opus X will taste better than an Acid but people being condescending about it sours the mood.
>>
>>20469674
>>20469721
>>20469728
There have been studies on it unironically.
You'd think they'd prove it wrong because 'smoking bad' but they said it was inconclusive.
>>
>>20469674
I remember some studies to that effect. as anon said they were immediately denounced for wrongthink so never went anywhere.

if I recall, one of the theories was, and this was more about cigarette smokers and their apparently lower infection rate in Europe, that the inhaled smoke was damaging the very receptors that covid virons infected. simple enough really. annicdotally I did notice far less and less severe infection in party animals I know. that doesn't explain a cigar connection though.
>>
>>20467423

Huh?
>>
>>20461919
I generally think tobacco tastes like shit and people just pretend to like cigars because they like the aesthetic or believe it to be a status symbol, but I have enjoyed some enfused cigars. The Acid Kuba Kubas are good but I prefer the coffee infused cigars like Java or Isla del Sol.
>>
>>20470186

>Isla del Sol

Are those the ones that are packed into boxes with coffee beans?
>>
File: pclg.jpg (19 KB, 586x411)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>20461821
>Yeah girl, I always enjoy a nice seegar after every meal. Only the finest
>I got this one recommended by a lifestyle youHOOUGH-ber. I even got a discount coOOUHGH- code
>yeah, the thing about enjoying the full flavor is to not inhale-*HOOOUGHHHUFHUFFF*
*COUUUUUGH*
>*snifff* of god yeah I'm fine I just need a sip of whiskey here
>*sluuuurp*
>*KOFF KOFF KOFF* ah yea-*COUUGHH* that's...........*gargle*
>>
>>20471874
never had this happen. luckily, cigar smoke keeps women away and I know how to properly inhale using no lung power.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.