[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Mkv-L_hover_test.jpg (227 KB, 800x1032)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
What type of engine does this thing use?
i know its rocket engine but what type of engine can be turned on and off like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBMU6l6GsdM
>>
my car sounded like that when the timing was off
>>
>>2798405
peroxide
or any hypergolic fuel
>>
>>2798405
>turned on and off like this?
yeah pretty stupid wy not just moderate it properly
>>
>>2798421
oh really captain jerk. describe how to moderate it "properly".
>>
>>2798425
never heard of proportional control lol noob
gooogle pid before you embarass yourself any further
>>
>>2798427
you have no fucking clue what you are talking about or why they did it that way. the point of that test was to prove that they could track an infrared target not have proportional control thrusters which also aren't needed in space.

the only reason they are firing so often is because it's under the influence of gravity.

they are using peroxide engines and a platinum catalyst. basically steam thrusters. just like the early rocket packs for people.

so shut your little whore mouth.
>>
>>2798428
>proportional control thrusters which also aren't needed in space.
stupidest thing ive read in a long time not by a tripposter
>>
>>2798454
In space it's more important to have simplicity and efficiency. The reaction happens at a set rate, less than that means no thrust, and trying to make some retarded vectoring system to control thrust just adds more things to break and kill you.
You thrust proportioning is using short bursts.
>>
>>2798457
STOP BEING REASONALBE YOU SLIME PIECE OF DIRT
>>
>>2798414
And if I remember, it`s running continuously with rotating vanes directing the jets.
>>
>>2798405
M
U
R
ACID
T
I
C
>>
>>2798427
read a bit into rocket engines, ISP and exhaust velocity. then laugh at your proportional control proposal.
>>
>>2798405
Hyperbolic propellants, it's just a valve, if it opens they go boom.
Usually peroxide based, caustic as fuck, but reliable.
>>
>>2798782
isn't this extremely toxic?
>>
>>2798405
It's a solid rocket engine and it isn't being turned on an off. Thrust is being redirected through different outlets
>>
File: hush child.jpg (78 KB, 500x702)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>2798815
the only byproduct of a peroxide jet is steam

>>2798826
pic related
>>
>>2798405
Mentos and cola.
>>
>>2798904
>>peroxide
lol no, peroxide's a shit propellant. Here it's probably hydrazine-nitrogen tetroxide:
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA344798.pdf
And yes, solid rocket boosters are legitimately used for ballistic missile divert and attitude control thrusters.
>>
>>2799231
https://youtu.be/iNUppNTT9RI
H2O2 engines.
>>
>>2798428
>it's under the influence of gravity
it's clearly not tho. basic physics, you don't get that consistent of a hover without a consistent force, in this case being supplied by a string.
>>
>>2799291
>in this case being supplied by a string.

I bet you don't believe man walked on the moon either.
>>
>>2799291
it is though.
>>
>>2799356
is it though?
>>
>>2799361
yes
>>
>>2799266
I'm not watching that. It's not using hydrogen peroxide, because hydrogen peroxide exhaust wouldn't be yellow.
>>
>>2798421
Seems to be working pretty well with two states of on or off. Maybe the compact design of '08 didn't allow room valving beyond an on and off. They would also require a very quick reaction time, at the time they might not have been able to get a regulated valve to react quick enough.
>>
>>2798826
Some missiles use multiple small solid rockets but it is not what is shown in OP's. They are coming out of the exact same hole.
>>
It's using hydrazine and NTO. Proportional valves tend to be bigger and heavier than a valve that just opens and closes. Response time is also better with an on/off valve and that helps with control loop stability. While engines can be throttled you'll get much higher performance running an engine at the limits of its capabilities. Everyone in this thread is terminally retarded.
>>
>>2798782
>Hyperbolic propellants
NO.

>>2798815
Peroxides are unhealthy but not extremely so. Hydrazine, on the other hand, is a major hazard.

>>2799231
Had it been hydrazine powered, people would have to wear hazmat suits. In some videos, people were sown in normal clothing next to these.
>>
>>2799518
The best thing about hyperbolic propellants is that their capabilities are limitless.
>>
>>2798405
It's an hypergolic pair linked to a PWM-controlled ON/OFF valve.
Hypergolic propellants ignite when contacting themselves.
You control the ON/OFF output of the valves, you control the near-constant thrust of the engine.
You just use PWM to control for how long you have to open the valve to counteract gravity.
I think BPS.space made a video about it, but I'm not sure, maybe it was another DIY rocket science youtuber. It was a nice proof of concept.
>>
Proportional motors for maneuvering thrusters aren't generally a thing. You're making tiny adjustments, and the extra weight and complexity just doesn't make sense. I'd also note that the prolonged burn sequence seen in those videos will never happen in actual use. It most likely consumed its entire propellant load in that video.
>>
>>2798405
Monopropellent.
>>
>>2799552
it's hyperGolic
>>
>>2803188

You should have told Alex you wanted "bad math jokes for 400"
>>
>>2798579
>muriatic
Its hydrochloric acid. This isn't 19th century Britain anymore, boomer. Get with the times and use IUPAC names for chemicals
>>
>>2799291
why would you talk so confidently and then say something so stupid it betrays that you haven't even seen the video in question. In the vid it has an initial liftoff from the ground. There is no string...
>>
>>2798815
unreacted propellant would be, everything else turns into water(steam). A cleaner burning engine would lessen unburnt byproducts but at the same time is extremely difficult concerning build constraints(caustic propellant quickly wearing down critical parts). I doubt they were concerned with totality of burn for this proof of concept but if its ever used around people that would change.
>>
File: giphy-2545425743.gif (12 KB, 484x471)
12 KB
12 KB GIF
>>2803188
>>2803230
>>
File: baitfishingreel.gif (2.33 MB, 400x300)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB GIF
>>2803413
>initial liftoff
can't imagine how THAT could be accomplished
>>
File: HyperbolicFuel.png (956 KB, 984x1580)
956 KB
956 KB PNG
>>2799552
>The best thing about hyperbolic propellants is that their capabilities are limitless.
I know
>>
>>2803477
can you imagine being retarded? oh? you don't have to?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.