[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Topics appropriate for discussion

- Pens, Pencils, and various other types of stationed equipment

- Paper brands and types

- Inks

- Carrying Cases

- Pen Design

>Previous Thread: >>18053134
>>
File: penco_a7.jpg (16 KB, 520x520)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
My current on-to-go notepad. Use it with a Leuchtturm1917 penloop and a paperclip to keep it closed. Works fine so far but planing to switch to Maruman 184 spiral notepad.
>>
Maruman Mnemosyne line is quite delightful.
>>
Another good option is Delfonics Rollbahn but I'm having hard time getting my hands on it inside the EU.
>>
>>18115490
Has anybody here gone to a Pelikan Hub?
>>
File: pencils.jpg (44 KB, 564x789)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
bump
>>
>>18115823
No. I just remember the story I read about someone who went to one and brought their new m1000 for people to try. When they were casing it after the event the nib was absolutely fucked because of retarded nigs flexing the shit out of it because
>muh flex
Never let anyone use your pen.
>>
Got my Kaweco liliput and I really like how it writes. I wasn't aware of the whole ink cartridge thing though so I can't use the writer's blood I got with in until I figure out a converter or something.
>>
File: IMG_1985-2.jpg (305 KB, 1440x1080)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
Wish I could afford to buy it.
>>
>>18117019
Bro just get a syringe and refill that cartridge. Simple as. The Kaweko mini converter you'd have to buy for it sucks ass.
>>
>>18117084
Do we know why they stopped making these?
>>
>>18117110
Is there a trick to cleaning the old cartridge out well enough to refill it with a different ink? Just toss it in water like everything else?
>>
>>18117111
Cost to produce, also any QC issues and the entire barrelnib has to be scrapped.
>18117084
>rolls off your desk
>fucked forever
You're not missing out on much. Just buy yourself one of the myriad pocketpens the nips were obsessed with back then from one of the big three and you'll be happy.
>>
>>18117225
Use the syringe to push water in it
>>
>>18117019
What a gay ass pen
>>
Is using a fountain pen honestly better than a ball point?
>>
>>18119055
100%. How the fuck is that even a question. Unless you need a ball pen for certain surfaces or drop durability a Fountain Pen blows it out of the hand.
>>
>>18119055
If you write for long periods of time yes. If all you ever write by hand are the scribbled addresses or numbers of whoever's paid to sodomize you next, then no as the quick convenience of a pencil or ballpoint outweighs the enjoyment you may otherwise have gotten from using a fp.
>>
>>18119017
Maybe, but I tend to think of myself at a heterosexual gay man so that's fine.
>>
How do I get my handwriting to not suck? I saw the Palmer's book in the last thread. Is there a more comprehensive guide to learning different calligraphic styles.
>>
Is Jetpens a good place for an Ameriburger to buy pens and pen accessories?
>>
File: kaweco sport.png (62 KB, 633x631)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
thinking of getting matching Kaweco Sports for me and my gf. I bought a Lamy Safari a couple of months ago and have been enjoying writing with it, a pleasant surprise as I never used fountains in school. Or perhaps i am just falling for babby's first fountain pens idk desu senpai
>>
>>18119259
So do you want a handwriting book or a calligraphy book? Because they're different things. Calligraphic scripts are drawn, handwriting is written.
But to answer your question:
>Is there a more comprehensive guide to learning different calligraphic styles
Zanerian manual is the standard book for most things. You'll need to be more specific if you want more special books
>>
>>18119703
I want something that one could learn old Euro (German and French) cursive styles from.
>>
How do i fix my shitty handwriting in a week ;-;
>>
>>18121441
It looks worse than a child's handwriting
>>
>>18121443
Write more idk what else 2 say

Write a story about a little butterfly and his trip down south
>>
>>18119055
They are still being produced on an industrial scale despite being "dated" for a reason. Yes, they are nicer to use even compared to gel pens and fineliners, and more economical if you syringe fill from a bottle or have a pen with an integrated filler.

The reasons fountain pens originally fell out of favor were due to old manufacturing methods/tolerance issues and now basically don't exist - it wasn't because they are inherently inferior to ballpoints for anything except cheap receipt paper that postdated ballpoints, and is usually handed to you with the servers pen because many ballpoints dont write on it either

Old fountain pens were very expensive, leaky, and prone to drying out
Now you can buy a twsbi eco for $35 and it will never dry out or fail unless you do dumb shit like yank it apart to clean out shimmer ink
>>
>>18115490
This is the closest thread I found.
What do you suggest to improve my handwriting?
>>
>>18123319
>lan xou read thiS?
is what I saw on first read without thinking.
You can start by writing ON the line because that's what they're for, not perpendicular to them.
How you hold the pencil/pen does a lot.
You need practice.
How to hold the writing implement, how to position the paper, how the hand rests in relation to the paper when holding the pen, how to write with the whole arm rather than just the fingers, how to write consistent letters so you don't get your
>thiS?
etc.

I suggest getting a sheet of paper and writing out the alphabet in both lower and upper case and see whether or not you're happy with how they look, then decide whether you want to change the lot or keep whatever idiosyncrasies your Hand has.

I cannot help but write in cursive when I have to, so I can't really say anymore but I've seen nice HW that's in block letters purely because it's consistent.
>>
one niche use case for fountain pens is it is much harder to forge your signature if you use a fountain pen especially with an uncommon ink every time you sign something. i doubt its applicable to anyone on here but its fun to know.
>>
>>18119055
non sperg reply:
if you're not into calligraphy and shit fountain pens are slightly nicer to write with. it comes with a lot of disadvantages like how they can leak ink, break if you drop them, etc so fountain pens are really only good for leaving at a desk you write at a lot. if that suits your lifestyle, you do a lot of writing at a desk you can leave a fancy maybe expensive pen at? go for it they're kind of cool. if you have to actually carry your pen around with you don't bother with them. meme.
if you're unsure if you like them there's cheapshit you can buy for a few bucks that writes good like preppy (their flaw is low lifespan from the body cracking, the nib is actually kinda insane for the cost)
>>
>>18123665
My twsbi eco doesnt leak or dry out, and they dont crack if you dont "reddit clean" them. literally the perfect pen. not even $300 montblancs can compete on these terms.

the only better pen on earth is a pilot evolt
>>
Faber castell fountain pens
Should I bother?
>>
>>18123973
>and they dont crack if you dont "reddit clean" them
reddit fags disassembling shit every 2 days wears out most pens in short order, but twsbi's have had a known issue where they've spontaneously cracked because they penny pinch with the materials and the forces are all wrong. There were some pics on fpn once that someone posted pics with some special camera that showed all the uneven forces on the plastic facets. I don't know how prevalent this problem is now compared to how it used to be, but the fact that people are still complaining of cracking means I cannot state something so unequivocally as you have. That being said my mini vac I bought 6 years ago seems to still be okay and the 580 I got maybe 3 years ago still seems okay.
>>
Is the pilot metropolitan worth it?
It looks sexy I found one for 15 Jordanian dinars
>>
>>18124147
Yes. Which one are you looking at? Their nibs are known to perform exceptionally well.
>>
File: 20240521_233141.jpg (2.18 MB, 4032x2268)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
>>18125065
I got this one
>>
>>18124735
That's not a bad price fairly decent in fact. Sure it's worth it if you like fountain pens, just make sure you factor in the cost of ink. A new box of pilot metro should come with at least one ink cart.
>>18124147
Personally i'm not too enthused about FC pens. GvFC is where they really express their own unique designs and i feel that that's where they become worth owning if your into that particular style of pen. FC being the budget GvFC isn't really that special in any way that justifys the price. They've always been a tad too high to be a begineer pen but a bit too cheap in terms of quality to be a low-mid pen.
That being said FC does keep some of the design athetics of GvFC and they're the only ones to make that style so that's the only real reason to bother.
>>18115711
Good choice, Mnemosyne is my personal preference as well.
>>18119324
yes
>>18120882
https://pennavolans.com/bibliography/
Sort by country and time period. It's primarily a resource used by engrossers and caligraphers but it'll serve you just as well. Just make sure you have an idea of what you're after as it's quite a large collection.
>>18122495
>originally fell out of favor were due to old manufacturing methods/tolerance issues and now basically don't exist
This is simply not true. Even in 1930's manufacturing methods for pens were quite advanced and tolerances were very tight.
Ballpoint pens certainly killed off the fountain pen for the masses but manufacturing and tolerances are definatly not the reason.
>>
>>18123319
I can read it fine the only thing is the 'y' being excessivly careless.
And that's my advice, avoid carelessness when you're writing. It's very simply and can improve your wrriting in pretty much a day. What i mean by carelessness is basically doting your 'i' so the dot lines with the stem, crossing the 't' straight, closing the loop on your 'd' and of couse not over crossing your 'y' so much that it looks like an x, you can add rounding your 'c' a tad better but that's a little more nit picky.
the issue if letter hight is not that important in the overall scheme of things as long as you can get what i said above right.
I would only recommend you follow the other anons advice if you were to become very serious about cursive improvement (print is slightly different). What i mean by serious if you were to decide to spend at least 30mins to 2 hours everyday for at least 6 month because that's how long it will take at a minimum to learn a new grip, learn muscular movement (The other anon mentions arm movement which i can only assume he got wrong because arm movement in cursive/caligraphic writing refers to something very different) and finally attain practical levels of proficentcy. It's important that you don't fall for the scam of writing slow.
>>
File: IMG_8134.jpg (1.61 MB, 4030x2588)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
Hello friends I got this leather portfolio as a gift recently and need a good, fashionable pen to go with it. I usually use the Muji pens due to their fine point but want something a little flashier, preferably not a fountain pen, just a stylish pen preferably under $200 but I can go up to like $250 if I really like the aesthetic.
>>
>>18125803
>flashier
>fashionable
>stylish
i'm always troubled by these word since i never understand what it means as it differs from person to person.
A Lamy 2000 ballpoint is always a safe option, does well with pretty much anything and that goes for all the versions (blackwood, ss etc...).
Caran d’Ache ballpoint's an't too bad either, their design isn't quite to my own taste but they look flashy and come in every color of the rainbow if you want a large color choice.
Faber-castel ambition's are another choice. It's a very watered down version of GvFC classic but it does look really good imo, the contrast between the wood and the chrome is rather tasteful.
That's all that i can thing of, I personally use a rotring 800 with a pelikan refill.
>>
File: IMG_7524.jpg (16 KB, 382x366)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>18125947
Yes flashy and stylish were the wrong words to use. The wood Faber Castells look fantastic so I will go with that after I browse the site for a bit, thanks.
>>
>>18125947
>>18125959
Oh Jesus now do I get a ballpoint or rollerball what the fuck is with this shit its a fucking pen.
>>
>>18125961
Rollerballs are a dumb meme worst of both worlds. Costly cartridge that's usually proprietary, prone to leaking, drying out due to lack of use and the ink will bleed through most papers because it's liquid ink.
In the realm of writing instruments you go fountain if you enjoy writing for writing's sake and have a lot of anal predilections about just how you want your shit to be, mech pencil if you're doing technical work/maths/sci/art and ballpoint for EVERYTHING ELSE.

You fall under the EVERYTHING ELSE. Buy a ballpoint, any one, that takes the Parker Standard ballpoint cartridge. There are so many different kinds of aftermarket carts that you can emulate the best parts of a rollerball anyway with none of the downsides if you so wish. Rollerballs are the absolute worst choice for anyone.
>>
>>18126392
That being said don't actually buy the Parker branded liquid gel ballpoint carts as they are as shitty as rollerballs and will leak shit.
Scheider gelion, Schmidt etc., do rollerball better than actual rollerballs with none of the stupid bullshit you'd have to put up with in owning a rolelrball.
You can even get uniball jetstream parker style carts now if that's your thing.
>>
File: bbpp.jpg (381 KB, 1117x1000)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
>>18115490
Seems like we're starting to slow down much earlier compared to the last thread. Not much discussion happening.
>>
are these good?
>>
>>18128175
Sheaffer hasn't been good since the late 90s.
I think these new ones are made in india or china. If you want a Sheaffer, go to ebay and find a nice Targa. Still made in US. Still good.
>>
Carrying cases?
>>
>>18128710
What style you looking for?
There's wraps, folder types, pencil case types. flaps, also what capacity are you looking at since some cases only might have 3 or 2 slots
>>
>>18128191
Thanks ! <33
>>
>>18128916
Note: avoid the targa slim because getting converters for it is impossible. I think. It's been a few years since I was in to Sheaffer.
>>
>>18128961
I'm very new to fountain pens
I got this faber castell grip and i love it and I want to get an upgrade
the store next to me sells the metropolitan and another pilot pen which looks kinda ugly
they sell a bunch of sheaffer pens so i wanted to inquire on them :[
i wish they sold the well known pens in the 200-600 dollar range but they don't
>>
File: 1716702393352980.jpg (73 KB, 1024x1005)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>18129117
I hope someone can tell me about this :p
>>
>>18129117
>>18129262
This is a slow thread and only a few anons answer questions here. Anyhow a pilot metro isn't exactly an upgrade. It's more of a side-grade, their both considered entry level pens although I'd personally consider the metro better than the FC.
As for sheaffers most people wouldn't ever consider buying a modern sheaffers. They're consider bad value (amongst other reasons). If they stock sheaffers pens I assume they'd also stock some other stuff like modern parkers which is imo 'slightly' better.
I assume there's a reason you're not buying online and thus have to show at a brick and mortar store. Can you take a photo of what your options are?
>>
>>18128778
4 pens/pencils
Style doesn't matter, just want to see what /fa/ says
>>
>>18129117
post pen in bussy
>>
>>18129117
>upgrade
Why? What is it about the pen you currently have that you're dissatisfied with?
I don't advise going down this road because it leads to a lot of wasted money. It's one thing to try a range of different pens and configurations so that you can finally settle on "the perfect" combo, but if you're pleased enough with what you have don't bother.
If your current pen does piss you off in some way then state what annoys you.
Note: pen shops, worldwide cept perhaps in Japan, are kinda crap and overpriced. If you're able to buy shit online wherever you are that's more advisable than settling for the basic stuff sold locally at what's usually a ridiculous markup.
>>
>>18130153
>What is it about the pen you currently have that you're dissatisfied
I'm not I love it I got the metropolitan and I also love it I just want to try things
I want a Mont blanc now >:3

>lot of wasted money.
;<

>kinda crap and overpriced
Yupp

You're right :p
I honestly only want a Mont blanc for the *prestiege* of owning one
I have shit handwriting
>>
File: 261122.jpg (1001 KB, 4032x3024)
1001 KB
1001 KB JPG
>>18130198
hey bby boy I have a montblanc, wanna fuck?
>>
>>18130207
Sure bend over and give me the pens faggot
>>
>>18130198
I have a lot of pens, and a fair few of them are MB's. There is nothing special about them, certainly not with the modern ones and I don't recommend vintage because that shit's finicky and it's too easy to be ripped off without a 1000hrs of research. But I know everyone's going to go down this road regardless so all I'll say is: buy used.
There are too many 146's and 149's on auction sites that buying new, unless you're just rolling in disposable cash, to bother. And even if you're rolling in dough you want to burn the older gen 146/9's with the ebonite feeds are superior. Unless you want something weird like a OBBB or something like I did which you will have a hard time finding 2nd hand. Even then, gimmick nibs lose their lustre and I've regressed towards the mean (M) once more anyway.
The special models are lame and only the very first few writers editions don't look like hideous shit and they all go for stupid money for regular petrochemical plastic and base metal pens.

So shoo, go buy a 149 with the twotone nib with an ebonite feed from the late 80's early 90's and get that shit out of your system.
>>
>>18130365
Oh thanks man you are great! ^_^
>>
Midori Patto is comfy af!
Got couple of those in black and white all with Leutturm1917 penloop in corresponding colors. The idea of one side to be glued together to prevent it from flapping around is very interesting especially because of the lack of elastic band like on Midori Grain (my second favorite notepad)

https://youtu.be/Qpad6iQqtnk?si=jWJFiZDk84S1sfw1
>>
Another great notebook and a notepad is Midori Grain. Very aesthetically pleasing items with quality paper.

Larger version needs no penloops, my Parker Jotter XL fits inside the spiral comfortably and is held in place by the clip.
>>
>>18131265
I like the MIDORI A5 STAND NOTEBOOK
>>
>>18131272
Yeah, heard much about it as well. Might buy one to check out one day or simply to add to my collection. Lovely paper, their small squared layout (like that of Patto) is pure sex.
>>
>>18129117
Can you post a picture of your boy pen
>>
>>18129117
>>18129982
>>18132230
bumping for boy peen and bussy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.