[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/gd/ - Graphic Design

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Additional supported file types are: PDF

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it retarded to use fountain pens?
>>
No its cool to use fountain pens.
>>
File: 7twwoco2kzp51.jpg (1.54 MB, 4032x3024)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>454720
>No its cool to use fountain pens.
>>
File: Nibariki.jpg (168 KB, 979x734)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>454722
cherry picking troglodyte.
>it is retarded to walk because it requires much more muscle work than driving does.
>it is retarded to cook for yourself because it makes a messy kitchen
>it is retarded to read a book because there are audio books.
>it is retarded to play the violin because you can make electronic music in your bedroom.
>it is retarded to collect tin toys because there is wh 40k

dafuqqqqq?
they obviously simply offer different sets of sensual experiences. there is pros and cons to (pretty much) everything.
also consider using a regular fountain pen with regular cartridges if your untalented ass is too clumsy/stupid not to make a mess with dip pens or piston converter systems... you sound like my grandma that dislikes everything internet just because she never properly learned how to use it.

>>454718
consider this.
do you enjoy writing by hand?
do you like rituals and 'sacred' little objects to value?
is flowing ink somewhat satisfying to you?
are you sometimes contemplating about reducing time spent on the pc?

if your answer to even just one of these is 'm-maybe' then it will be 10 bucks well invested.
give it a try and decide for yourself whether you find it in any remote way pleasurable. but stop wasting oxygen with naive questions à la
>is it retarded?
>>
>>454726
tldr dont care

i use a fountain pen for sketching from nature - because iike the challenge the ink presents as a medium, no erasing, and i like that i can go over it with a brush and some water after too. i think its great. and i use the pens for other shit to. moderate inconvenience at times but i love my fucking ink drawings and what they represent (ie being in the moment and seeing and composing well)
>>
>>454726
>then it will be 10 bucks well invested
lmfao
there aren't any fountain pens that cheap, all of them are overpriced af and not worth it
>>
>>454718
No, but there is a very real and if you ask them, admitted correlation between willing/active participation in "the fountain pen community" and various neurodevelopmental and mental disorders like ADD, ADHD, autism, bipolar disorder, OCD, etc.

>Intrigue, ink and drama grip the fountain pen community

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/intrigue-ink-and-drama-grip-the-fountain-pen-community/
>>
>>454732
i use the cheap muji pens. not sure muji sells them anymore
had mine for years, still working
>>
>>454732
idiot
>>
>>454722
>uses india ink with a fountain pen and makes spiteful comments about the medium

the embarassing retardation of some mfs...
>>
>>454728
>i use a fountain pen for sketching from nature
Why not use graphite or charcoal pencil instead?
>>
>>454790
probably because it has a different look...
>>
>>454790
did you not even read the post, my man?
>>
>>454733
I think that it's just a correlation with neurological issues. The real thread might just be neurodivergence since a normal person would not be such a devilish deviant as to use a primitive method of putting down ink.
>>454728
Same, I like the effortlessness of putting down the lines and the finality of each stroke.
>>
>>454831
Most of the comments I've seen of those kinds of people commenting on it had almost nothing to do with actually using the pens for putting ink on paper, and almost everything to do with the pens and related inks themselves being a perfect outlet for fixating on in a semi- healthy manner, and also to satisfy compulsive urges to collect and organize them andvengage in the ritualistic aspect of loading and cleaning them and disassembly/reassembly.

Where ink on paper is even mentioned its usually still in that context, obessively fixating on the color or sheen...the act of writing or drawimg is mostly just a means to that end, or an afterthought.
>>
>>454832
I don't think you've ever tried a fountain pen before and seen how they differ from ballpoint pens. I think they're especially good for the few of those who write in cursive
>>
File: 135466.jpg (22 KB, 600x400)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>454833
How the fuck do you conjure up that bullshit based on anything said in the post your are responding to?

I've owned and used plenty of fountain pens, as well as Rapidographs and other specialized ink pens like picrel for drafting and calligraphy and other artwork since back before you were born.
>>
File: aMHcoYtu_o.png (264 KB, 749x449)
264 KB
264 KB PNG
>>454722
just get gud with fountain pens lmao
>>
>>454834
based roller ball bro
>>
>>454722
>getting filtered this hard by a kaweco sport
kek
>>454743
Platinum's Carbon Black isn't india ink, and is safe for fountain pens.
>>
File: carbon ink.png (619 KB, 2416x1369)
619 KB
619 KB PNG
>>455170
it mentions fountain pens in the specifications, granted, but it is still suspended pigments instead of dye...
feel free to clarify why it technically isn't india ink (happy to learn something new here), but I doubt you'll make me consider this uninformed choice of materials a viable argument against giving fountain pens a try.
>>
>>455171
India ink is made with shellac, which is why it gums up fountains pens - same reason it's waterproof. Carbon Black is very water resistant, but nowhere near the level of imperviousness that india ink is. The only thing you need to be wary of with it is that, being pigment based, it can be a bitch to clean out if it dries in the pen.
>I doubt you'll make me consider this uninformed choice of materials a viable argument against giving fountain pens a try.
It's not? The Sport is an easy beginner pen and Carbon Black is a good ink if you want something with high water resistance. >>454722 is still retarded, my point was the ink wasn't a mistake.
>>
>>455172
yea, interesting, but wikipedia deems wrong, so Idk
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_ink
under 'components' section it says that the carbon pigments are what makes india ink india. shellac seems to be an optional component

>a bitch to clean out
exactly. and that is why it is a poor beginners choice. water resistance or not.
noobs being filtered by clogging seems pretty darn unsurprising. so still declaring it a wrong choice.
>>
File: $10 parker.png (85 KB, 762x700)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>454718
I like fountain pens, but I hate the bulky ones, I prefer the smallest and cheapest ones.
>>454732
This is arround ten bucks
>>
i dont know shit about ink
my pens clog if im not regularly using them
but i just dip the nib in water and shits good to go

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.