[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

For the past few months I've been finding myself going to local parks more and more, off the beaten path, and just loving being out in nature. I figure I'm at the point where I'd like to start taking it a step further and get some camping gear and a nice off-roading bike but I don't really know what brands to go for as the marketplaces are flooded with different brands.

could I get some recommendations on some starting gear for spending a night or two out in the woods? The bike is probably the thing I'd like to spend the most money on to begin with as I like to ride bikes in general so I figure that's the thing I'll get the most use out of.

Also, I hate to add to the already bloated request, but any general tips for somebody just starting out on backpacking and camping out would be much appreciated.
>>
>>2729661
As much as people love to call it goyslop, REI is a good place to start. Their tents are relatively cheap for decent quality. For a sleeping bag and pad Thermarest has good R(thermal resistance) value for the price. Camping gear really depends on the weather outside. Don't get a low R value around 1-3 for snowy conditions, 4+ will do.
>>
Here is my babby's first big four (this is assuming you are going out in any season other than winter).

Tent: Lanshan 1 (you will need to buy an additional pole for this or a single trekking pole)
Pack: Osprey Exos 48 (or 58)
Sleep System: Aegismax Quilt (these go by several names, you want the 800FP one)
Pad: Klymit Static-V (insulated or uninsulated)

Alternatively, you can go for whatever's cheapest at Sierra or in the used section of REI (you will need a membership though which is an extra $30 for lifetime membership) for the sleeping bag/quilt and pack. Just make sure that the rating for the sleeping bag/quilt is suitable for the seasons you plan to be camping in, do your own research. As for the pack, you can't go wrong with a 48-58L and you usually can remove the brain if it comes one if you want to cut down in size.
>>
>>2729682
I should note, this will cost you about $500, give or take $100. Yes, it is a little pricey for most people but you will not regret starting out with these. You don't want to cheap out on these items, as they are pretty much the core part of your experience. Luckily in my case, I was able to borrow a good amount of stuff for my first /out/, but I really should have prioritized the things that I wasn't able to and had to replace later down the line. On the bright side, I have extra stuff I can give away/let people borrow on trips with me. Learn from my mistakes.
There is a lot of other little things you'd want to pick up as well, such as a cook system and a bunch of odds and ends, but I would focus on these four first. You only need to worry about having a real cook system if you are going out for more than a day, otherwise you can just pack food and water for the day. The other odds and ends are just luxuries that you can find cheap alternatives for until you need to replace them with something better, such as a flashlight or headlamp.
>>
>>2729661
For hiking, there's two options, depnding on whether you're healthy or not:
If you're healthy, get a framed milsurp pack (Alice, or old Bergens, or Finish army hunters if you get lucky) and a foam sleeping mat. Also a sleeping bag that fits your size, and either a tent or a tarp (this one is a matter of preference) that's not known to be too leaky. Can't really go wrong on the latter two. Then just start camping, see what you want to improve and go from there. Don't spend too much money in the beginning, since you'll probably fall for some of the larpers on here (or anywhere, really) advertising the worst shit as perfect.

If you're weak (as in, "barely survived chemo" weak), look up ultralight gear. Most of it is overpriced and breaks easily, and the more solid stuff will quickly overload an ultralight pack to the point of harming your spine if you actually hike regularly, but if you're one of those people who can't lift 5kg, you don't have much choice.

For reference, my starting gear was a German backpack (that only has a soft frame - doubling as a sleeping mat - and got replaced with an American Alice after a few years), a German army sleeping mat (hard as hell, now replaced with a finnish foam mat), a cotton tarp (still in use sometimes, though I now use a OneTigris Tentsformer), an esbit spirits burner, a cheap stainless folding pan, a Mora, a wooden spoon and a German canteen (that's aluminum, which is why I replaced it with a stainless steel one from pathfinder, which was almost unuseable, and then a stainless copy of the american aluminum canteen from jolmo lander).

For general tips:
- get a waterfilter. Sawyer or one of the ripoffs. Carrying less water is nice, but the main benefit is being able to refill your canteen without having to take off the pack and exposing your sweaty back to the wind.
-Try using a tarp instead of a tent. Tent's get stuffy and build up condensation. Also, in many places, tarps skirt around prohibitions on camping.
>>
>>2729676
>>2729682
>>2729690
Awesome, I appreciate the help.
>$500
That's about what I was expecting for starting out. Going to start adding them to a shopping list and grabbing them in the next couple of weeks. I figure it's best to spend more now on the right stuff then getting cheaper things to start out with and having to spend more later (ie: you get what you pay for.)
>>2729695
I'm in pretty decent shape. I work at one of the most intense fedex warehouses in the country so do a ton of heavy lifting and have decent endurance (I use them more as a gym that pays me to work out over a job).

Considering I'm finding myself for hours out in the woods just reading and listening to [spoiler]worship[/spoiler] music I figure the next step is just getting a strong start for spending the night out there. The condensation and general stuffiness of a tent and sleeping bag in the hot weather we're gonna have worries me a bit. I appreciate all the recommendations and the water-filter is a solid idea. There's a park I go to regularly where I know all the river/lake locations, so that would be nice.
>>
>>2729661
If you're American: >>2729676

European? Decathlon.
>>
>>2729695
>Don't spend too much money in the beginning, since you'll probably fall for some of the larpers on here (or anywhere, really) advertising the worst shit as perfect.
Most of your stuff is milsurp, brother. Can't go around calling people LARPers like that, and then go on to recommend him UL gear, some of the worst price-to-weight ratio items on the market. Makes no sense! Notice how you ended up having to replace most of your gear, too.
>>
>>2729706
"LARP" no longer has any real meaning here; anons just apply it to anything they don't like because they're too lazy to use other words. Zoomer dialect is a fucking plague.
>>
>>2729706
Did you fail basic reading comprehension?
>go on to recommend him UL gear
If he's literally to weak to lift 5kg is what I wrote. Otherwise, my recommendation was to get good milsurp.
>Notice how you ended up having to replace most of your gear
I never "had" to replace gear. All of my original German Army gear is still useable, just packed away together with the uniform (other tan the belt, that I still use semi regularly).
I simply replaced the free stuff I got from the state it with better things once I could afford them. Tried out some other gear too, including some mid-prized civilian gear, but those generally failed or were just plain uncomfortable.

>Can't go around calling people LARPers like that
Try going out for a change. Once you're more than 5km or so from the nearest parkingspot, most people of the few around are using milsurp or cheap discounter gear. I've even seen more traditional leather packs than brandname rucksacks.
>>
>>2729767
>All of my original German Army gear is still useable, just packed away together with the uniform
So you're trying to convince us you're not larping?
>>
>>2729767
Lmao, what the hell are you bringing that your pack is 5kg base weight? Especially with heavy-ass milsurp gear. Even that's a dream for many UL hikers.
Oh, you're from the EU. That explains everything actually. No point in even talking about this any further. Enjoy playing in the trees with your fellow LARPers
>>
Man... it's wild how even having the names I'm getting flooded with knockoff crap on Amazon. I was able to find:
>>2729676
But so far this is the nicest Lanshan I can find:
MIER Lanshan Ultralight Tent 3-Season Backpacking Tent for 1-Person or 2-Person Camping, Trekking, Kayaking, Climbing, Hiking https://a.co/d/gId7Jrz

At least the Osprey packs came right up.
>>
File: 600x600.jpg (146 KB, 600x600)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>2729924
After doing some research, it looks like I'm going to be to tall for the lanshan. Onto Rei tents to see if there's anything good on Sale.
>>2729705
I am indeed from the land of the burger. Going to try and find a decent, light 2 person REI tent with a 3 season rating.

https://www.rei.com/product/204332/the-north-face-stormbreak-2-tent

This one is looking pretty appealing from the review I watched unless somebody says otherwise.
>>
>>2729924
>it's wild how when I look on a website full of garbage I keep finding garbage
If you buy shit from amazon you're part of the problem
>>
>>2729956
For lanshan tents it was either that or Aliexpress. Didn't look like there was an official site. Either way if looks like I'd have been getting a knockoff of a knockoff and the genuine thing wasn't big enough for me anyways, even with a 2 person.
>>
The Essentials (there are more than 10). Keep it simple, and don’t be a retard. A lot of these categories could be their own threads. In no particular order:

>fire
A way to start my in. Mini bic is standard, other ways can be fun.

>food
Also a way to prepare and eat it. Try to avoid canned. 100 calories per ounce is a good starting point (generally)

>water
A way to carry it and a way to treat more. You don’t want to carry all of your water with you.

>navigation
Map and compass, GPS, etc. Don’t rely on phone service. Inb4 shitstorm.

>illumination
More than just the light in your phone. Get a headlamp.

>repair tools
Some duck tape wrapped around an old gift card, a small pocket knife, maybe some zip ties.

>first aid kit and toiletries
Think about what you’ll be doing and the likely ailments you’ll have to treat. Don’t buy one; put one together yourself. Don’t forget bug spray.

>rain gear
Self explanatory, and really dependent on local conditions

>clothing insulation
For the coldest temps you expect. Generally that’s in the morning when preparing breakfast, not while hiking in the middle of the afternoon.

>sun protection
Again, regionally dependent. More important if you’re on an exposed mountain at high elevation or in a place with little shade.

>shelter
Tent is standard and easiest, but there are other options, all with pros and cons.

>ground pad
Inflatable is more comfortable but CCF is cheaper and can’t break.

>sleeping insulation
Sleeping bag, quilt, blanket.

>footwear
Boots are pretty common, shoes as well. Conditions and preference will be determining factors.

>backpack
Buy it last, after you have everything else. Try one on in the store if you can. They’re not all the same.
>>
>>2729951
Unless you'll be camping with someone else, or with a dog, I don't recommend 2-person tents. It's a lot of extra weight for needless extra space. If the Lanshan's foot is too small for you, you can look into the X-Mid 1 if you can shell out the extra $75 from the one you posted. It's got a slightly longer floor.
>>
>>2729963
Gotcha, I appreciate all the advice. There were a couple of pitfalls I would have fallen into there, especially:
>Try one on in the store if you can. They’re not all the same

I would have definitely spent the money thinking they were all the same. I found the tent I'm after >>272995, now I'm just trying to find the right sleeping insulation. I'm leaning more towards the quilts, but I'm still sorta looking at the mummy sleeping bags. Also, might try a ccf first as I always find a way to pop anything that inflates.

I think the toughest part will definitely be the backpack though as I'm not exactly sure what to look for and they seem to be the biggest investment of the lot.
>>
>>2729967
Watching a review on it now. It's tough because I don't want to assume I know what I want, but looking at the lanshan 1 it just looked a bit tight to me, though yeah, watching a 5'11 guy just barely fitting in was not too promising (if I was a bit shorter I think it would have been a pretty cozy fit).
>extra weight
And again, don't want to assume I know anything about backpacking or camping, but I'm a pretty strong guy so I'm not sure it'll matter too much. Though 5 pounds to under 1 pound is nothing to scoff at. That is a pretty significant difference.. just wish the price on the X-mid 1 was a bit more tame. $500+, but I'm sure you get what you pay for.
>>
>>2729972
You're looking at the X-Mid 1 Pro which is the ultralight version. The regular X-Mid 1 is just under half the price at just under three pounds, and trust me, those pounds do add up. If you want to test yourself out, fill up a backpack with jugs of water until it's between 25lbs-35lbs. That will be your "average" base weight, anything below starts getting into ultralight territory.
On a regular backpack you'll really feel the weight, but with a backpack that has a proper frame, sternum strap, and load lifters, it literally takes off what feels like 10lbs-15lbs off your back.
>>
ALTERNATIVELY, you can also do a hammock set-up depending on where you're camping. They're usually lighter than a tent set-up and arguably more comfortable, though a good hammock is going to set you back just as much as a decent tent and sleep system if you want to stay warm. For the summer months though, should be fine with something in the $100-$200 range, and you can add-on stuff like the under quilt and other amenities later
>>
>>2729973
Gooootcha, I was watching the reviews for the pro so I'll just check out the 1. I'll also do that tomorrow and walk around the park I usually do a couple of times to see how I hold up. Again, I don't want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but I lift 100+ lbs packages all day for 5+ hours (the pools are the worst), so 25-35 lbs doesn't sound too intimidating to me but it may add up once I'm actually walking up and down hill as a warehouse is relatively flat outside of jumping in and out of trucks.
>>
>>2729974
I do kinda like those hammock set-ups. Didn't even know that was a thing.
>>
>>2729977
Hammock guys swear by them. When I went camping with a group of them, one of them took three naps in his hammock in a single day, I couldn't tell you which one to buy though, but I am interested in them as well.
>>
>>2729978
I think that'll be something I eventually try. The safer bet would be to go for a tent first and branch out... doesn't help that all the hammocks I'm interested in look expensive as all get out.
https://haventents.com/products/haven-tent?variant=44416852295918&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxeyxBhC7ARIsAC7dS3-wPzDjA253F_gyD6EfkXMgaHIIjNt3M1-x0dOFO666n7K00uMEIaYaAtN8EALw_wcB

This one looked kinda nice, but the size that would be comfortably for me would be 7lbs kinda defeating the purpose...
(Though maybe still eventually worth a try)
>>
>>2729981
Also, the price on that one isn't too bad.
>>
>>2729973
After watching a couple reviews and tests, you're right, that x-mid 1 is looking pretty appealing and being only 2 lbs (rounding up) is not bad at all. It took bad weather like a champ too. I appreciate all your help and recommendations.
>>
>>2729985
Glad I could help. Hope to see you post about your experiences here on /out/
>>
Just ordered a x-mid 1 v2(the manufacturer actually had a couple open box ones for 40 bucks off).
Any recommendations on tent poles? I dunno if the 70 dollar ones on the site I got the tent are overkill:
https://www.kaviso.com/products/durston-gear-z-flick-carbon-fiber-tent-pole?pr_prod_strat=jac&pr_rec_id=3405ad3d4&pr_rec_pid=7804946743524&pr_ref_pid=8030708269284&pr_seq=uniform
>>
>>2730202
I'm sure you can find an cheaper alternative on literally Aliexpress or something. Better yet, get a single trekking pole that way your tent pole is multifunctional
>>
>>2730205
>single trekking pole that way your tent pole is multifunctional

That's a really solid idea. Saves on the weight too. I just didn't know if these things were interchangeable or made much of a difference when it comes to just standing the tent.
>>
>>2730202
>Just ordered a x-mid 1 v2(the manufacturer actually had a couple open box ones for 40 bucks off).
You got a damn steal
>>
>>2730293
I'm really excited. Turns out one of my friend has a bunch of backpacking gear I can borrow to get out there sooner than I expected. Having a wife and kiddos, he just doesn't have the time to go out anymore.

Pretty much all I need now is a decent pair of trekking poles to act as the tents poles and I'm good to go. Planning to go out with his stuff and the tips from the thread to kinda get a feel for what I'll need in the future when I actually buy my own. Apparently I have some nice backpacking trails around where I live as well. This is all coming together quick. I'd say the perfect scenario would be being able to go out with him first so he can show me the ropes, but I suppose I can find some good videos on prep and more or less what to do on my first time out.
>>
>>2730364
Just wanted to check, you got a good pair of boots? Depending on where you're going hiking shoes may be better. Probably the most important things outside the big 4.
>>
>>2729981
That’s a bridge hammock. It uses two poles to creat a sort of bed shape. It’s the ultimate in hammock comfort, but they are generally pretty heavy.

I’ve only tried one: a Dutchware Banyon. I think it’s like 2lbs, which is fairly heavy compared to a more typical gathered end hammock. And that’s without a tarp, so roughly 3lbs total. Pretty expensive too. I think the Dutchware is $275 (again, not including a tarp).

Most people opt for a gathered end, probably because it’s cheaper and lighter.
>>
>>2730526
Also
Hammocks are almost a whole world unto themselves. Most people aren’t buying a complete setup. They’re buying a hammock separately, then a tarp, then figuring out which type of suspensions they prefer (plural; one for the hammock and another for the tarp). When you buy a tent, it’s just a single item made by one manufacturer. Hammocks are a system that you piece together. I’ve tried six (6) styles of suspension on my various hammocks over the years.

There are maybe three models of inflatable pads used in tents that are so popular they’re almost ubiquitous. Everyone seems to use an XTherm or an XLite. Ask a normie group and those are what you’ll hear about. Then ask about underquilts, and it’s just as varied as sleeping bags (for the same reason).
>>
>>2730517
No, I'm afraid not. I have a decent pair of shoes for trails, but nothing in the way of boots. Any recs on brands or what to look for when picking a pair?
>>2730526
>>2730531
I appreciate the tips and don't mind the price if it's something I'm going to get a lot of use out of. Figure it's best to stick with a standard tent and backpacking/camping till I get used to it and experience the pittfalls I might run into while out there. Trying to get used to it before fall/winter as that's when I'm really looking forward to getting out and about.
>>
>>2730583
>Any recs on brands or what to look for when picking a pair?
Go to an REI or other outdoors store and try them out in the store. If you're lucky they might have a little platform with some terrains to try them out on. Can't recommend one specific brand as footwear is different for everyone. What you want in a good boot is arch support and ankle support. You want good enough room in there to double sock up too, so make sure it's not super tight yet a good fit
>>
>>2730586
Gotcha, I got a flat, wide foot so the arch support is always fun to deal with in finding a good new pair of shoes. The double sock thing is something I'd never have been thinking about though. Appreciate all the advice. Looks like I got an REI about 15 minutes away from me so that'll work out.
(though I may or may not have lost my job tonight, so might put a wrench in the funds lol)
>>
Any reason using trekking poles would cause bicep pain? Went out on a trail with a backpack full of waterbottles for the weight, didn't feel too much different than usual, but my right bicep was hurtin' by the end of it and I'm kinda wondering if I'm using the poles wrong.
>>
File: file.png (108 KB, 554x554)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>2731325
>>
>>2731970
>about to go uphill, let me stop and adjust my poles
>hold on guys, looks like the grade is changing, I have to adjust
>is everyone holding their arms at 90 degrees? My level says we're on flat grou-shit, it's going back up again, we have to stop
>does anyone know what grade this is
>guys, wait for me, I have to adjust
>guys
>>
File: file.png (943 KB, 1536x2048)
943 KB
943 KB PNG
>>2731985
You're really supposed to adjust the positioning of your hands on the poles. On top, in the middle, and lower.
>>
>>2731970
Sprained my ankle helping a friend move, so I haven't checked in on the thread for a bit. I'm wondering if my arms just aren't used to the even distribution as I had them at about 90 degree elbow length. I also hadn't adjusted the straps right initially so I was having to hold onto them a little tighter. I wanna go out camping so bad, but the sudden job loss and now the sprained ankle... just a rotten bit of timing. Least I got the tent, though I haven't been able to pitch it and inspect it yet, but it's got a decent warranty and I still have ten days on the satisfaction.

>>2731985
On some terrain I imagine the adjustments would be important.
>>
>>2733887
Take your time brother, plenty of summer ahead. The outdoors ain't going anywhere anytime soon. Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you recover soon.
>>
>>2730583
where is that? looks gorgoues
>>
>>2733897
Preciate it. Guess it gives me more time to read tips and watch videos about it. On the upside, my friends dad (who I was moving) found out I'd never really been camping before and really wants to go with me offering to bring a bunch of his gear and show me the ropes, so that'll be cool if he follows through with it.
>>2733902
Brown County State Park in Indiana. One of my favorite places in the world, though after covid the big lodge there is a lot less "homey". It's an incredible place in the fall though.
>>
File: 20240522_212730.jpg (4.67 MB, 4080x3060)
4.67 MB
4.67 MB JPG
This is so dang heavenly bros... and this tent is incredible. It's the most open, non-stuffy tent I've ever slept in (though my pool of reference is pretty small). Insanely easy to set up. Insanely easy to put away.

Can't wait to get the rest of my gear and get out there. I mean, if I'm practically falling asleep on the ground in this thing, I can't imagine what its going to be like when I have the right sleep system, pad, and chair.
>>
>>2729661
Get some cheap shit you can throw away if it turns out it isn't your kinda thing, or go with a friend who already has overnight equipment. If you're young, ask your (grand)parents if they've got some gear lying around. You shouldn't care about weight/size when trying things out
>>
>>2734992
Hell yeah!!! Nice anon!!!
>>
File: 20240528_220406.jpg (4.65 MB, 4080x3060)
4.65 MB
4.65 MB JPG
>>2737152
Got a friend that used to backpack a ton and he's gonna lend me all his gear since he's had kiddos and just doesn't have the time to do it anymore.
>>2737274
Just got done pitching it in the rain (even with rushing to get it up it was so dang easy). We were supposed to have a bad storm tonight and 40 mph winds, but it seems to have passed us up. Just out here listening to the thunder now waiting to see if it does start raining. I was really hoping to test the durability out tonight, but I dont think thats gonna happen. I'm so darn cozy. I really appreciate you guys and all your help. Been having a tough go of things since I started this thread, but this has definitely been the highlight of this rough month and I'd have had a much tougher time without all the help.
>>
>>2729767
>>2729781
I agree. I have light-ish gear and it's still about 15kg for 4 or 5 days in winter. I can get it down to a bit over 10kg if I don't bring 3L of water or extra winter gear and don't go out for as many days. A large ALICE weighs 5kg on its own.

>>2729967
>a lot of extra weight
In the case of the x-mid, it's 210 grams. This may or may not be a lot of weight for you. I bought an x-mid 2 because I'm 6'8" and the x-mid 1 is seriously cramped.

>>2729976
It's less about what you can do, more about what you want to do. The posters on /out/ who've been outside in the past year should mostly be able to carry a 20kg pack, but it'll be slower and more unwieldy (although that might be worth it if you're bring a camera, rifle, fancy cooking gear, carrying part of your wife or femboy sex slave's gear, etc.). Meanwhile, one of my friends is looking at buying ultralight gear so he can use it for fastpacking 40km a day.

>>2737376
Noice.
>>
>>2737445
So far my only concern with the x-mid 1 is sleeping on my side. When I go to roll over I sorta catch in the wall of it on either side. Now, I don't know if that'll be a non issue once I get the pad in there, but I do worry I'll roll over in there and either knock down one of the trekking poles, or pull the thing down. That being said, it still managed to hold my weight and not really budge when I rolled into one of the poles like I would if I were to toss and turn then stayed there for a bit.

It was also a quick, dirty pitch due to the rain so I wasn't able to get it fully extended width wise.

Also, about what I eventually want to do, go on some long pretty trails with some nice cooking gear, find a nice place, then just chill out enjoying the nature cooking and reading. I do have some friends I'm going to do some adventure races with though, so getting light gear might come in handy in the future.
>>
>>2737445
>6'8"
You better play basketball.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.