[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Flag_of_Svalbard.PNG.png (7 KB, 800x582)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
I'm moving to Svalvard (Longyearbyen to be exact) bit I know shit about Norwegian regulations, customs, etc.(but im trying to both, document my ass on that and trying to learn the language or as much as I can before moving)
Any of you guys can tell me more about the place?
Anything is good, from interesting areas, internet usage related topics, dos and donts, anything is useful.
Thanks in advance anon
>>
>>2658951
cool, btw I've just heard that is the place where you can't die because it's literally illegal, and as google state"The reason why it is “illegal to die” in the remote town is quite simple. According to Ladbible, the average temperatures on Svalbard range from a frosty −13 to −20°C. Notably, Longyearbyen is so cold that it raised concerns about dormant viruses present in the corpses"
>>
>>2658953
Yup, was one of the first things I was told about the place. Permafrost is really something else. and its one of the things Im more exited about
>>
I think there was an international treaty saying that Norway can't enforce immigration controls over Svalbard. Or, at least it can't do something about foreign interests there
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Treaty
>>
>>2658965
Ala ChatGPT:
"The Svalbard Treaty grants citizens of all signatory nations, including non-Norwegians, the right to access and live in Svalbard. This means that as a US citizen, you can live on the island indefinitely. However, while you have the right to live there, you are still subject to Norwegian immigration regulations, which means you need to comply with their requirements for residency, such as registering with local authorities and meeting any other applicable criteria. So, in practice, you have the right to live there, but you still need to follow Norway's rules regarding your stay."
>>
>>2658965
>>2658967
Not one second of your time there counts towards Norwegian citizenship. So keep that in mind
>>
>I'm moving to place
>Any of you guys can tell me more about the place?

Why would you move to place is you don't know about it? Do you understand Svalbard is a frozen wasteland and the jobs are all absolute shit tier labor? The housing is cramped and expensive for privacy, you will wind up in a worker dorm if you're trying to save and make money there.
Is that what you are after? It's a bunch of literal africans, criminal eastern euros and slavs, and weird brown fuckups from around the world. It's like a penal colony except you can leave.
>>
>>2658951
>I'm moving to Svalvard
Why?
>(Longyearbyen to be exact)
You don't have to specify, it's the only settlement of note there.
>Any of you guys can tell me more about the place?
Frozen hellhole, Russia wants to invade and probably would've already if they didn't fuck up in Ukraine, you get a personal quota of two bottles of hard liquor per month, but only once you've stayed there for 90 days, carrying a gun is not only permitted but required by law outside of Longyearbyen because of polar bears, the nature is about as raw and wild as it gets, and that flag you posted is pure fanfiction, I'm Norwegian and have never seen it in my life.

Also it's not illegal to die there. That's some retard Youtube clickbait shit. You just can't be buried because of the permafrost, and the hospital isn't really equipped for seriously ill people. Remember, this is a wasteland where people come to mine coal and run various businesses around the mining industry. It's not a place for retirees or people starting a family. Pregnant women are sent to the mainland for that reason. And if you should die, your body is simply shipped back to where you came from.
>>
>>2659322
Are there tours to see polar bears¿
>>
>>2660163
A quick google search gave me several tour operators that offers guided tours and expeditions. Tourism is big business up there, and I'm, sure you'll find a company that suits your expectations and budget. I can't recommend any myself, I've never actually been there.
>>
>>2659028
>Why would you move to place is you don't know about it?
It less than I know nothing and more about regulations there, I actually know the place kinda well regarding economical things and how fucking expensive shit tends to be there but I want to know lets say, internet regulations for example, or random british loicences one should know in advance, literally dos and don'ts
>Do you understand Svalbard is a frozen wasteland and the jobs are all absolute shit tier labor?
Im actually going to do IT stuff, was contacted by a company there and I said yes, im moving there in september
>The housing is cramped and expensive
the company said they will take care of that for the first months but yeah, its something I want to try to check asap to not be dependent on them for housing
>Is that what you are after?
Kinda, yes, I always liked the sound of it since I first heard of the place as a kid but never got an excuse to actually visit it, that's why I accepted the job asap.
>>2659322
yeah Im aware of the medical situation there, for what I understand you need to go to the continent for anything relatively serious.
As for the language, Im starting lessons next week, kinda funny because during my time working as an External Relationships delegate on the political party I used to be part of I had a lot of direct contact with the Norwegian embassy people but was one of the few languages I never pick up for a reason of the other. Tell me bro, there's anything I need to know about your country? because I will be going to visit Hammerfest quite regularly too
>>
OP here, forgot to ask - what is the trans scene like on Svally? I'm about to start HRT so not sure if I will pass in time if that counts
>>
>>2660163
Worked for a month on a boat that did 10 days trip around Svalbard and saw 20+ bears. Probably cheaper to go on a sled ride but maybe lower chance of seeing one

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.