[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Turok.jpg (157 KB, 800x800)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>bullets cause water ripples
>bullets can ricochet off walls
>underwater explosions cause bubbles
>trees can be knocked with explosions
>enemies have detailed motion captured animations
This was the most immersive FPS game at the time. And it ran on a console with 4MB of RAM. I do prefer the 90s PC port overall though.
>>
Shame about the terrible gameplay though.
>>
File: Turok 1 boss.webm (3.87 MB, 640x480)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB WEBM
>>10906370
It has good gameplay. Better boss fights than any other FPS at the time.
>>
>>10906374
It was cool how there was a different death scene depending on the boss that was being fought (save for the first one).
>>
>>10906374
What happened with Turok 2? Why were the bosses such a downgrade in that?
>>
There was way more of a general effort to make games immersive back then. The idea that every 3D game should be a kind of playground where you interact with things, and things react to you, seemed to drop off after a certain point.

So many late 90's games would allow you to crawl, and climb, and swim, and break objects in the environment, and so many games now don't have that. Starfield and Elden Ring don't have that.
>>
File: Turok - Dinosaur Hunter.png (3.3 MB, 1260x1589)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB PNG
>>10906374
I never thought about it but you're right, compared to Duke3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior (and of course Quake lol), Turok has much better bosses
>>
>>10906391
Turok 2 has "western developer" syndrome. It can't help but try to be as big and vast as possible, even when it's to the detriment of the game.
Western developers have never gotten past that shit.
>>
>>10906398
I prefer Turok 2, but they seriously needed to rein in their level design. It's easy to get lost with the backtracking in some levels.

Would've been better to have all levels be condensed more and add a couple more. Otherwise, it feels like a chore to even get through one level.
>>
>>10906391
The bosses were more weakpoint and phase focused, instead of being fights you engage with. They sort of nintendofied the boss encounters.
>>
>>10906360
Based and Turokpilled
>>
>>10906360
Yet I'd rather play Duke episode 1 for the 20th time.
>>
>>10906360
>turdcock
hard pass. injuns are lame.
>>
>>10906398
I blame Acclaim.
They wanted bigger games with fast development times. Along with not having the money to stay in business, so it was either crunch the game out or leave.
They at least had talented staff from Iguana working on 2. Once both merged, all the talent left and what remained were overworked and under qualified people making huge nothing games.
>>
>>10906539
I probably played Duke ep1 50 times at least before playing Turok so you still have some ways to go
>>
>>10906360
The PC remaster is great. The game is 10x better on PC especially with the Hardcore option. The Turok Plus mod is a lot of fun too. I like Turok 1 more than Turok 2 I think. Turok 2 is great until Laird of the Blind Ones and Hive of the Mantids. I reach those points and usually stop. Turok 1 though I can fire up and run through in a few hours; challenging but fluid.
>>
>>10906419
>I prefer Turok 2, but they seriously needed to rein in their level design. It's easy to get lost with the backtracking in some levels.
Playing Turok 2 recently it occurred to me the game is too big for its original hardware. For example, in Hive of the Mantids you literally start the level in front of a turret getting shot and you are right there at the entrance to the Hive. That feels cheap and unfinished. I think that the level should have begun in a kind of barren rocky area that looks like it has been strip mined. Then you crest over a hill and THERE is the hive entrance with the turrets.

I agree that Turok 2's maps are a little too big. It is a little frustrating your first time trying to find everything. Not so bad on a second playthrough when you know where everything is though. The game isn't that hard really; it has lots of infinite respawning health and ammo.
>>
>>10906360
That game is fucking glorious.
>>
>>10906360
Yeah, Turok is pretty great. Love that game.
>>
>>10906554
Acclaim bought valiant comics just to farm out the ips for various media, video games being the cheif example. I wonder what could have happened had the sale not happened and acclaim just licensed the rights to the games instead? The comics certainly took a nose dive once acclaim came in, i dot mean sales wise, just overall quality imo.
>>
I forgot about the blood + water effects. There's effects for blood landing on water and enemies bleeding underwater. Plus those enemies that can swim and climb up walls.
>>
>>10907484
When you knock down trees they stay that way the whole game, even if you go to another level and then come back. Neat
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
best boss in any game ever
>>
A lot of these things aren't even in modern games.
>>
>>10907539
In many ways modern games have regressed. I mean just compare the original XCOM to the new ones. Sure, fancier graphics but it is a much more small scale and scripted experience.
>>
>>10907539
i think they got traded in for lengthy cutscenes. Probably because it's cheaper to hire 3D artists than it is to hire developers to develop new graphical enhancements
>>
>>10906419
Turok 2's gigantic maps fucking rule imo. One of the few games I've ever played where finally managing to find everything in a stage and clear it felt like a real genuine accomplishment.
>>
>>10906391
Time constraints. There was supposed to be a boss for every level. There ended up only being what... 3?

There was supposed to be a level where you actually ended up in Dead side from Shadowman. That's why there's zombies in Turok 2.
>>
I think Turok is the first game to ever do bullet time. And it's weird that 2/3 never brought it back

And that power up is only in the original like 3 or 4 times.
>>
>>10906360
It really was an amazing game and I insist to this day that the fog effect, while in place for performance reasons, only ADDED to the experience, it did not detract from it. Screaming dudes running out of the mists at you with tomahawks, the dark and spooky tech bases with a fucking laser t-rex, what a masterpiece.
>>
>>10907545
GoldenEye lets you shoot in different hit zones and they'll react differently, if you try to do that in most games today they'll just shout.
Hitman Blood Money lets you ride elevators, in nu-Hitman the devs said they can't make 47 ride elevators in that game engine.
Let's you wonder how they pushed the envelope in many of these old N64 shooters.
>>
File: 1707508972513031m.jpg (93 KB, 1024x575)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>10907681
Every AAA game these days cranks up the volumetric fog out the ass. So Turok was ahead of its time.
>>
>>10906374
You don't see shit like this in modern FPS games. Cool as fuck
>>
>>10908436
>And then there's mirrors
>>
Ain't it sad that the closest thing we get to a new Turok game is a Doom mod?
>>
Pro Turok chads... I can tell all of you regularly get pissy and have huge dicks...
Anti Turok no chins... Please don't shoot up the place you work at tomorrow...
>>
>>10906374
Damn this actually looks pretty sweet, I only played 2 & 3 as a kid but I should revisit this
>>
>>10906398
>lair of the blind ones
This shit is unacceptable in a game. Everything in the level looks the same, it's way too goddamned big, and i've spent half my current playtime in this one shitass cave.
>>
>filtered by lair of the blind ones

Let me guess, you kept turning in round on yourself and it took you 4 laps to notice?
>>
>>10906360
>they mocapped dinosaurs
impressive
>>
>>10910797
I feel like i've scoured every inch of the map but can't find the final vent. Every time i think I've found a new spot it ends up having nothing in it.
>>
>>10910885
you jest, but who's to say you couldn't mocap a trained ostrich or emu.
>>
>>10910945
anon those are dogs
>>
>>10910919
There's a vent I always used to miss. It's in the area you have to swim in at first before crossing a bridge. You have to hop across to a platform and again into the vent area.
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
File: adon.jpg (131 KB, 301x537)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Great soundtracks, too. Darren Mitchell hit both games out of the park. Iirc, he was originally going to make an orchestral style soundtrack for Turok 1 but technical limitations forced him to use drums primarily with only a few melodic instruments at a time. Really gave the game a unique atmosphere and energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4A0IhX5uU

The second game was more film-y epic orchestra, but his compositions are still rhythmically clever little pieces filled with accessible counterpoint, unexpected structural complexity and memorable melodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnxI7Yu5yl0

>>10907681
I thought the fog fit the crazed lore of the Lost Land as well. An interdimensional time warping pocket (the "bermuda triangle of the omniverse" or the "sewer of space time") filled with dinosaurs, aliens, demons and extra dimensional refugees all vying for control over an uncontrollable ecosystem that engulfed them all. That had such a cool native American mythos vibe. The fog gave off this impression of something truly impenetrable and vast, like the Lost Land could stretch on forever and you would never know quite what you were in for next.

Always thought the lore of these games were underrated. Chronoscepters tearing open the fabric of time, a bug alien deity that accidentally created the big bang, ancient tribes of Lost Land protectors that inherit a bottomless satchel filled with primordial particles that can hold infinity. Stoked my young imagination like crazy.
>>
File: turokseedsofevil.jpg (130 KB, 616x353)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>10906360
Based turok poster.
>>
>>10906397
this shit looks like that 32x demotape, with how it has so few textures and very limited draw distance.
>>
>>10910885
>>10910945
>>10910964
All animals/dinosaurs were key framed.
Humanoid enemies used a combination of key frames and limited motion capture.
>>
>>10915159
I really want to hear what his take on the 3rd game would have been.
He was still working with Iguana during it's development as shown on the Forbidden Places documentary. It's understandable why he parted ways because of it's sloppy development, but the lack of his music really leaves a void that needs to be filled.
>>
>>10906374
I love SGI graphics baked into a sprite or texture, even better if animated
>>
I loved the original. I was playing it recently again on an emulator so I could run it at a high resolution. Is there any reason to get the nightdive remaster? I looked at a comparison video and the remaster really doesnt look that much better. Just better textures and interface stuff.
>>
>>10915891
Definite version, once you play the remaster there's no going back to the original.
The original now feels extremely clunky and jank, I tried going back to it recently and I barely beat it.
>>
>>10910624
Turok 1 is fucking awesome. I "played" it a lot as a kid, but I finally picked up the remaster a few months ago and blew threw it in almost a single sitting.
>>
https://voca.ro/176Zg8H3W916 Turok 3 remastered if Nightdive weren't cowards
Bring back the shitty elevator credits
>>
>>10915923
Thanks for the info. I just installed it and immediately I was like, wtf... the videos didnt do it justice. It looks and handles great. I wish they woulda added rumble for the controller. I know the original doesnt have that, but i also know its not hard to add. I've worked with my friend adding rumble effects to games that didnt have them for controllers. But oh well. Besides that, yea this seems pretty legit. Thanks again.
>>
>>10915990
https://youtu.be/zQLAVQWA5dQ
>>
>>10915159
>I thought the fog fit the crazed lore of the Lost Land as well. An interdimensional time warping pocket (the "bermuda triangle of the omniverse" or the "sewer of space time") filled with dinosaurs, aliens, demons and extra dimensional refugees all vying for control over an uncontrollable ecosystem that engulfed them all. That had such a cool native American mythos vibe. The fog gave off this impression of something truly impenetrable and vast, like the Lost Land could stretch on forever and you would never know quite what you were in for next.
>Always thought the lore of these games were underrated. Chronoscepters tearing open the fabric of time, a bug alien deity that accidentally created the big bang, ancient tribes of Lost Land protectors that inherit a bottomless satchel filled with primordial particles that can hold infinity. Stoked my young imagination like crazy.

https://youtu.be/n3m7Xow0YxE
>>
>>10918039
Yes just like that, but with acid and cocaine.
-Acclaim, probably
>>
>>10916076
1 was a early remaster. 2 is an even better remaster with all the modern bells and whistles they added.
>>
Are the remasters good?
>>
>>10906360
It's an awesome game when you don't have to deal with the N64 performance and controller.
>>
>>10907539
Modern games can't even do mirrors, lmao.
>>
>>10920648
Turok 1 remaster is fine, but moves a few items and secrets around. Like the secret auto-shotgun in the starting level is in a different spot.

I don't know enough about Turok 2, but the remaster of 3 is the most impressive since 3 never got a PC port.
>>
>>10906394
It's a testament to how differently devs thought about their games back then. To older developers, their games were testing grounds for implementations of interesting new ideas and optimizations for the enjoyment of the player. Modern devs just see it as a game and nothing more and it shows.
>>
>>10918039
I've had an idea for a Turok map where a monkey steals you infinite satchel and you have to run around trying to find him and get it back. Like the cheeky monkey that takes your hat in Mario 64.

The ending would be you jumping down from a tree and landing IN the bag taking you to a giant multicolor disco light void with no gravity where you are actually inside the satchel. Floating around and you fly past just ammo everywhere, hundreds of golden life force towns, weapons all around. Looking for an exit.

Of course this is all my ideas guy™ concept and ive done 0% towards making it.
>>
>>10920804
seems like it changed after a certain crytek game of this philosophy >>10906394 being complained about as a 'tech demo' and not making enough money
>>
>>10920708
Is 3 actually a good game? I really liked the Turok 1 but haven't tried 2 since I remember the maps being way too big and kind of boring when I was a kid. I don't know anything about 3, though.
>>
>>10922371
Not really. It's ok for a playthrough at least but it's not very good. All the talent left before 3. The games very rushed , super unfinished and short.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a single person that unironically believes 3 is better than 1/2.
>>
>>10920708
Turok 2 is good but they changed the lighting and made it brighter. in some places it makes zero sense like sunny looking lighting while it's foggy with heavy clouds.
the arrows to death animation physics however are broken and arrows don't rotate when enemies roll, arrows are in are also fullbright but this last one might be to facilitate recollecting them for casuls.
it's the worst of the 3 when it comes to the port but it's not too bad.
>>
>>10922371
It is, but it's short.
Chapters 1, 2, 3 and 5 were clearly rushed and only chapter 4 is the one fully fleshed out.
>>
File: 1699410891774.webm (1.79 MB, 1280x720)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB WEBM
>>10922371
Short answer: No.
Long answer: The game is riddled with massive technical issues and lackluster design due to being rushed out the door by Acclaim.
It's very evident Acclaim pushed the game to release before the final master was tested, just like with Shadow Man 2.
Here's a quick list of major technical issues I can list off the bat:
>Enemies spinning in circles, sometimes right in front of your face. Sometimes they even attack you even when they aren't suppose to*
>Collision issues, missing level geometry, etc*
>Elements of the game clearly malfunctioning, such as the particles on the wind vents in Chapter 4 being stuck, which causes the game to run at single digits due to all the overdraw.*
>Lack of proper enemy feedback, some enemies just poof into particles or disappear entirely rather than having unique animations*.
>Very poor item balancing. The damage the Fireswarm deals is piss-poor despite chewing ammo, while the sniper is overpowered and barely takes up resources*
>Rough animation especially when compared to the previous entries. The first boss ending cinematic is especially bad.
>Some rooms are flat out empty.*
* = Nightdive attempted to fix these for the remaster
The nicest thing I can say about the game is that despite how rushed it was, there's no moments where it becomes unplayable or frustrating.
>>
File: heresJuan.gif (1.94 MB, 500x920)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
>>
>>10923156
kek
>>
>>10923156
>juan gaspan does chris one better
>not juan gaspan does chris juan better
meh

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.