[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why do so many zoomers view arcade as mindless quarter munchers when in reality they were the premium experience in terms of gameplay, challenge, replayability, and tech?
>>
Because they didn’t grow up with arcades and never developed the skills needed to enjoy or get good at arcade games. They were raised on slow-paced easy games.
>>
>>10922425
They've never been to a proper arcade.
>>
>>10922425
Anon, the term "quarter muncher" existed before zoomers were even born. A lot of people viewed them as something you'd dump your change into and die rather quickly, with people happily clearing them by way of credit feeding.
Regardless, I don't think somebody who grew up outside the era when then-modern arcade games were almost universally technically superior to home games at the time (with most home console ports further highlighting the differences), can really appreciate just how amazing it was to go into an arcade and see how amazing the games looked, or how the phrase "arcade perfect port" could induce instaboners. Now you can just download most of them and play them for free, and while nothing can really replace the feeling of playing games in a proper cab on original hardware, it does make it harder to understand the excitement of looking forward to returning to a favorite arcade spot to play some of your favorite games (or the best version of a favorite game).
>>
>>10922507
>Anon, the term "quarter muncher" existed before zoomers were even born.
"quarter muncher" referred to specific arcade games that were built to milk the player of their money no matter what, rather than to be beatable on a minimum of credits with a decent amount of practice/skill. Stuff like Gauntlet and Rampage was especially bad for that.
Now the term just means any arcade game.
Kind of like how "shovelware" referred to low-budget low-effort junk designed to make a quick buck, but now it can mean pretty much anything.
>>
>>10922521
What I hate are arcade games that start off really easy to lure you in and then have a huge difficulty spike after the first level to take your money.
>>
>>10922507
It was also a perfectly legitimate term for some games that were intentionally designed to be impossible to 1cc. However, you're being pedantic and you typed a whole lot of shit I'm going to assume is irrelevant to OP's fucking question.
>>
>>10922542
wow it's almost as if you have to get good to beat it
>>
>>10922551
Then be hard from the get go, or slowly ramp it up.
Just don't have extreme difficulty spikes.
>>
>it's an "I'm not like other zoomers!" OP
>>
>>10922425
Zoomers don't view arcade as anything because they've never been to one
>>
At least we can all agree that rank/dynamic difficulty systems are shit and not fun
>>
File: 1715351299695446m.jpg (62 KB, 823x1024)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>10922425
This you OP?
>>
>>10922425
i just played some new fangled mario kart at a barcade
$1.00 to play
losers get 1 (one) race
if you get first, you get 1 (one) extra race
>>
>>10922650
no that's me, I'm a cat
>>
File: Suitcat.png (526 KB, 1024x1023)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
>>10922684
Same, pic related.
>>
If someone uses the term "quarter muncher" I completely disregard all further opinions from them.
>>
>>10922573
^this^
/thread
>>
>>10922425
because for the vulgar throng they were quarter munchers. That's how they made their money. Gamers could do much better, but they weren't exactly a majority.
>>
>>10922975
Be careful, you're going to trigger the "arcade culture" anon.
>>
>>10922425
There's something in the water that's making the youngins retarded.
>>10922507
Look, there's one right now. Any time you see a wall of text that starts with "Anon," you can be sure it's a kiddo pontificating about shit it knows nothing about. tz;dr
>>
>>10922425
Because that's what arcades were. Microtransaction-based entertainment. Difficulty could be adjusted in many different ways, including sequentiality (how high was the difficulty increase from level to level). The master options system was amazingly detailed in some cases. The aim was to get players far enough into the game in order to achieve commitment; that is, to make players keep feeding quarters when they start losing, rather than quitting.
>>
>>10922562
>slowly ramp it up
That's what most do, you think it's "extreme" because you only have like 2 lives.
>>
The """"premium"""" experience if you were there to spend your entire allowance
If you were there just to put a coin or two in, it was fucking terrible.
I'll say this you're better off spending your allowance on arcade games then on fucking Pokemon cards or any other TCG garbage. That would've been me. And I regret it with every ounce of my being
Arcade cabinets for me were a thing I saw while on a trip somewhere and put a quarter. There were none close to me. So naturally if you just 1-2 coins in on whatever game you've never played, you're gonna do shit and have a terrible experience. This was the case for virtually every arcade game because they're all tuned to milk your wallet
>>
File: freakin' sweet.jpg (97 KB, 600x826)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>10922425
Market research shows that if zoomers cant do the task after the 3rd attempt they'll give up. this applies to every single task in life, not just gaming.
>>
>arcade
>skill
Pump coins and memorise the stage
>>
Arcades really did lose appeal when they weren't always a gen ahead of consoles anymore because being "a gen ahead" doesn't really exist

It was awe inspiring to play this shit in the '80s and then go home to your NES, or god forbid your Atari/Coleco
>>
>>10922425
besides the tech aspect, I feel it's more the social thanks to social media. back then you needed to go places to mingle, and arcades were one of them. wouldn't mind munching quarters if it meant spending time with the homies.
>>
>pay 2 play
>gets punished for being bad at the game
>has real life consequences for being bad (you lose money)
this is the reason why japanese players used to be better in arcade games besides having a healthy community and sharing information. you either step up your game or you dont play at all. cant brute force your way to victory.
>>
>>10922425
Actual arcades were dying before most zoomers were even born. I could see though why some games would be looked at as cheap quarter munchers, but it'd be wrong to use it as a blanket statement.

>>10922521
I don't think I've seen shovelware used very much to describe anything but actual shovelware. But then, I've also avoided /v/ for a decade, so maybe that's become a very cherished buzzword for the little cretins living underneath that stone.

>>10923237
He rambles, but he puts into words all the things which zoomers have no connection with, because arcades weren't really a thing anymore by then, which is basically what OP asked for.
>>
>>10923443
You could compare it to microtransactions, but I think that you would often get a much better gameplay experience with arcade machines, than say the average free to play mobile game which operates by microtransactions.

>>10924000
Quarter feeding is more or less bruteforcing, though you'd still have to be reasonably competent at the game to make progress. Unless it's some particularly cheap rote memorization game I guess.
>>
>>10923910
That only works for some games, you'd still need to actually learn and then perform.
>>
>>10922425
>challenge
These guys play on their own against npcs. There is no fucking challenge.
>>
>>10924106
post your 1CCs
>>
Their experience with arcades was either midway games (which are quarter munchers) or Raw Thrills shit (same thing basically)
>>
>>10924124
I don't even know what that means, but I smash people online.
>>
>>10923750
You could get hundreds of credits for the same price as a console game, the fuck are you on about? You realize how long 200 credits (equivalent of a $50 console game) would last you?
>>
>>10924157
oh okay thanks for your informed opinion
>>
>>10922425
you know not including tag 1 (that's a full on remake) all tekkens up to 7 were arcade ports
>>
>>10924157
yeah on grinder
>>
>>10924184
Depends on the game, the difficulty settings, the coin-to-credit ratio settings and the personal skill of the player. I'd say spending $50 on Skyrim has netted me more playtime and enjoyment than pressing the coin button 200 times collectively in MAME.
>>
What are some arcade games which are clearly above the rest and don't just feature "memorize the level to succeed" gameplay?
One of my favourite acrade games is Neo Turf Masters - the aesthetics, music and gameplay is top notch and it feels so different from the standard arcade games. Any more stuff like this? (doesn't have to be golf games, of course).
>>
>>10924256
Q*bert
Tetris The Grandmaster
>>
>>10924260
>Tetris The Grandmaster
I've heard some people being big fans of it. What makes it different from other Tetris games?
>>
File: 10012301.jpg (294 KB, 850x1094)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>10922425
Because they were mindless quarter munchers, those things are not mutually exclusive.
>>
File: bb9.png (150 KB, 500x441)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>10922425
Because arcades were already dying before many of them were even born, the technological gap between consoles and arcades has been closed since the beginning of the 6th gen, and the social aspect of arcades has long been overtaken by online gaming
>t. zoomer
>>
>>10922425
>were
exactly, WERE, by the 90s with the ps1 and saturn, you could already experience this at home for thousand of hours.
for me, arcades are only really worth when they have those costumized inputs for the game, like virtual-on or those rail-shooter, shit that you cant easily emulate at home.
>>
File: virtual-on.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>10924302
forgot my pic
>>
>>10924272
TGM is essentially just a very fast Tetris game. It forces you to play at a high speed and it uses a relatively restrictive ruleset such that you can't, say, game the system by rotating your piece to buy time. For the majority of the game, the piece starts at the bottom of the screen instead of the top, which means you have some fraction of a second to deal with it before it locks itself into place. The three entries in the series are all fairly different from each other in the details - TGM 3 is perhaps most notorious for its grading system and the fifty-odd seconds of invisible Tetris you need to play to top it, for example - but that's the basic idea.

I think TGM 3 is one of the best games ever made. Getting good at it without pirating it (it runs natively on Windows) is a very expensive endeavor, but it's fundamentally a fair game. The music is fantastic too.
>>
>>10924272
A different ruleset (rotation rules, randomizer algorithm, etc), strategy and goal compared to the other big Tetris games people play, NES Tetris and Tetris Effect.
Like, you could (and probably should) play NES Tetris for fast line clears, TGM requires you to build a high tower and pop it with the I piece at certain times in the run. Pieces in NES lock as soon as they touch something below, TGM (at points) spawns them right on top of the stack but you can still move them left and right for a second. The difference and nuance is too much for a single post but I think you can feel some of the difference just watching an NES run and a TGM run.
>>
>>10924286
god look at how suckable those fingers are chun li has the cutest fingers
>>
>>10924306
>>10924307
I see, interesting, thanks a lot for the explanations. I've watched this fantastic video about the history of videogames with a huge chunk of it being devoted to arcade games and the guy mentioned TGM to be one of his favourites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X6D39Cd34k
The video is also related to the topic as it displays how tightly connected arcade and gambling industry is, so it's no wonder that many games are "pure business" and were made to be literal "coin munchers".
>>
>>10923751
Obviously just made up research. Everyone knows zoomers never even try.
>>
>>10922991
I don't know who that is but they seem to live in your head rent free so that makes them based.
>>
I never saw anyone 1cc anything until the internet. I never saw arcades as anything but fighting games + some random quartermuncher distractions from fighting games + air hockey and skee ball
I once watched a guy do dragons lair at a bowling alley with just a few continues with like 7-8 people watching, that was the apogee of single player arcade skill in my eyes
>>
>>10922425
>Why do so many zoomers view arcade as mindless quarter munchers when in reality they were the premium experience in terms of gameplay, challenge, replayability, and tech?
Japanese zoomers don’t think so, it’s just that gaming at home is more convenient. For everyone else, it’s because of trends and media line YouTube vids from literal who’s telling them “thing bad I’m right or else you’re cringe”
>>
File: 1712873475049843m.jpg (106 KB, 1024x640)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>10924224
It's not just about hours but gameplay density. Skyrim is a shallow, bloated RPG with very low gameplay density. And why the hell are you comparing a 2011 game to an 80s or 90s arcade game anyways you dumbass zoomer?
>>
>>10924423
Western arcade gaming was about mindless quarter munching and featured stand-up cabinets, low-quality sticks and buttons, button mashing gameplay, non-default dip switches, and oftentimes neutered/unbalanced western ports. In comparison, Japanese arcade gaming was viewed as an art-form and a display of mastery with sit-down candy cabinets, high-quality sticks and buttons, autofire circuits (many with dials for different autofire rates), default dip switches, and the authentic Japanese version the developers intended.

So it's night and day difference, fortunately the games still hold up today and there are very few Japanese arcade games that require knowing Japanese to enjoy.
>>
>>10924450
Who is paying to play arcade games from before 2000 at this point, and why do arcade games give you so much ass pain?
>>
File: Alien_Soldier_Coverart.png (217 KB, 265x370)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
Lack of expose to high-quality pre-5th gen games (a significant portion of which was arcade titles) makes it harder to see the difference between, e.g., a mind-numbing, time-wasting console RPG and a good game. At most you can expect them to have played high quality ''arcadish'' games like picrel.
>>
>>10924450
Because I can play them for free and I have fun doing so, simple as
What games have you guys been playing? I'm finally trying Hishouzame and it's pretty cool. Not blown away yet but it seems pretty fair so far, and it's been a while since I played a game with one shot/bomb type and no options so that's been cozy.
>>
>>10924423
How many hours all put together did you spend in an arcade?
>>
If you look up the completion rates for most any video game on steam the majority of owners do not complete their games. For action games the number is often lower than 25%.
>>
>>10922425
>Why do so many zoomers view arcade as mindless quarter munchers when in reality they were the premium experience in terms of gameplay, challenge, replayability, and tech?

How do you know what Zoomers know? Did you take a poll?
>>
>>10922425
As someone who burned quarters and later dollars than I'd like at arcades in my youth, they were certainly money crunchers. It's telling that game design philosophy moved away from difficulty and limited continues as consoles became more and more popular.
>>
>>10922425
1. They never went to one
2. Because it is both things, they're not mutually exclusive.
3. Why do you care? If you want to talk about arcades just do it, hell, even recommend some good ones
>>
When did the "memorization is bad" meme start?
>>
File: 20230914_231530.jpg (1022 KB, 2880x3840)
1022 KB
1022 KB JPG
>>10924546
There's a nearby burger joint that has free play Mondays, I like going down there to play Joust and Burgertime.
>>
>>10924908
When the boomers who grew up playing NES shit developed dementia and can complete a game only with execution.
>>
File: ATTITUDE FOR GAINS.png (50 KB, 343x89)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>10924908
Considering it's a sentiment of laziness, I'd say probably around the advent of the printing press. It was argued that because printed media was so accessable nobody will memorize things anymore, which was true for lazy people that decided it was easier to recite a needed page of information rather than interacting with the information itself to learn from it.

Anyone that claims memorization is bad can be dismissed as a lazy pitiable idiot whose resentment towards education is formed by their own inaction.
>>
>>10924908
>When did the "memorization is bad" meme start?
When a small group of niche gamers used it as an excuse to justify their autistic levels of memorization for shmups, and that game companies cater to them.
>>
>>10922425
>in reality
Yes arcade games were quarter munchers by design to make money, it's the whole reason continues are a thing. You're a zoomer who didn't grow up with these games or were a spoiled brat with the money to waste on them.
>>
>>10924979
>quarter muncher
No. It was a careful balance of profit for businesses VS reward for gamers.

If game companies made gameplay too hard, obviously rigged, or not rewarding for gamers...then gamers would reject them. For every 1 major blockbuster smash hit arcade game, there were 10 that failed to be successful and were forgotten by time.
>>
>>10922425
Because many Arcade games had their difficulty tampered by US Operators on purpose to swindle people out of their quarters.
>>
>>10924953
I agree that you need to execute actions to complete games but I don't think that was what you meant.
>>
>>10924978
what’s wrong with enjoying games
>>
>>10924302
>by the 90s with the ps1 and saturn, you could already experience this at home for thousand of hours.
Massive lies. Few ports were Arcade perfect.
>>
>>10925027
enjoying games is for casual scum
>>
>>10924953
>can complete a game only with execution
What does this mean?
>>
>>10925032
So a tryhard called you a casual and you've been sore about it since. I'm sorry you feel that way.
>>
>>10924224
>'d say spending $50 on Skyrim has netted me more playtime and enjoyment than pressing the coin button 200 times collectively in MAME.
Because you don’t like real video games.
>>
>>10925034
You didn't beat the game until you curbstomp it
>>
>>10925027
>what’s wrong with enjoying games
Enjoyment is determined by the majority.

You must be that creepy guy who is sits in the dark corner of the arcade giving off "don't come near me vibes" while playing Darius or Raiden.
>>
>>10925074
>Enjoyment is determined by the majority.
no it isn’t lol
enjoyment is highly specific and subjective
>>
>>10922425
Just tell zoomers they're roguelites and they'll love them
>>
>>10925105
As an arcadefag I appreciate roguelites for keeping the spirit alive
>>
>>10925085
>subjective
Not when you are a 1990s arcade game company trying to make a game to be successful
>>
>>10922425
>many zoomers view arcade as mindless quarter munchers

Because... they were and those of us who were actually there know this.

>when in reality they were the premium experience in terms of gameplay, challenge, replayability, and tech?

Well, only partially, but that's not mutually exclusive to being a mindless quarter muncher.
That being said - the premium experience was split between arcade and home consoles because arcade games lacked some of the best games that require playing. There is no for example Super Metroid arcade game. There is a Metroid on the play-10, but you'd be pumping quarters into that bastard forever, just to play... a NES which you could do at home anyway. Likewise, homes often had better controllers because arcades were often jank as fuck.

Some games were absolutely maniacal in their quarter muncher. There were beatem ups where you had one life and each life cost a quarter to play and you could basically die to one or two combos or getting hit with stupid shit. They varied. Likewise, as arcades settled and home tech advanced, there was a divide where home games were just better period.

The goal of arcades was ultimately to separate your money from you - not to provide good experiences, and the more their profits struggled, the more that became true.
>>
>>10925140
An aggregate of subjective experiences is still grounded in subjectivity, retard.
>>
>>10925154
>mindless quarter munchers
>Because... they were and those of us who were actually there know this.
Just because they gobbled quarters doesn't mean they weren't good games. Many of these games were quite fun and rewarding to players. And if you were skilled enough, most of the time you could get very far on a single credit.

>Likewise, homes often had better controllers because arcades were often jank as fuck.
Not an issue. My arcade had well maintained machines and controls.
>>
>>10922425
>Why do so many zoomers view arcade as mindless quarter
Because they are.
You don't think they made their money by hosting cabinets that are easy to 1cc, do you?

How do you think that one guy that hangs around the arcade all day got good enough at metal slug 3 to clear it on one quarter?
Because he put enough into the machine to literally buy the fucking cabinet.
>>
>>10925154
You got that phrased incorrectly: The goal of arcades was to seperate your money from you by providing good experiences. Surviving arcades managed by providing more for their customers, some arcades couldn't afford to and had to close. You act like there aren't arcades anymore
>>
>>10925171
>Not an issue. My arcade
That's not issues work interestingly enough. It's actually an issue when a lot of people experience it.
>>
>>10922521
All SNK & Midway stuff was guilty of this. Amd even games like the original Kaiser Knuckle, and the US versions of 90s Konami Beat em ups (killbomb anyone?)
>>
I'm literally leaving this board, because you fuckers can't stop talking about Zoomers.
>>
>>10925239
See you tomorrow
>>
>>10925226
Sorry that you lived next to a crap arcade. But your personal experience is not representative of the rest of the world.
>>
>>10925154
I swear Super Wanktroidf fans are the epitome of dunning kruger.
>>
>>10925189
MS3 is above average difficulty though, and if people stick with that kind of games it's because they offer an experience that easy games don't.
>>
all video game companies have to make money to be able to keep making games. at a certain point that was no longer viable for arcade games that didn’t have some sort of user persistence and content treadmill.
if the pay-per-play model offends you, then just remember that you can play 30 years’ worth of those games for free on your phones along with every other retro game you don’t have to pay for.
>>
>>10924184
Not all games ran on a quarter retard. Also 200 credits is actually probably less than how much a kid played some games like Mario.
There's just no use trying to make arguments about arcade being good value. It wasn't
>>
>>10925324
well yea but that's not thanks to them. They would love to take those games away from you
>>
>>10925360
The average kid didn't even beat the first world of SMB. 200 credits is the equivalent for your average shitty console game, and gives you many dozens of hours of enjoyment on a premium arcade game with much better tech and much higher gameplay density. And if you actually practice and improve at games, those quarters would go much further.
>>
>>10925389
>The average kid didn't even beat the first world of SMB.
Fuck off you fucking know-nothing zoomer shithead.
>>
>>10925368
So? How long are you going to hold that grudge?
>>
>>10925391
You could 1CC most arcade games with 200 credits (one console game's worth) of practice.
>>
>>10925529
That has nothing at all to do with kids playing SMB at home, dumbass.
>>
>>10925531
Yes, most kids didn't beat their games, and many didn't even get out of the first couple stages.
>>
>he didn't 1cc on his first try
lmao
>>
>>10925543
We're talking strictly about SMB.
>>
>>10925543
>most kids didnt beat their games
This can't be true, right? I mean, a kid owns probably only a few games, he has shit tons of free time, probably plays them every morning at least (AVGN did this) there's no way he couldn't beat all of his games, perhaps even 1cc them
>>
>>10925543
Source: dude trust me
>>
>>10925389
well 200 credits can be either 200 dollars or 100 dollars at best. Arcade games did not run on quarters where I'm from. Arcades were not good value. It's funny that some people get upset when you point this out. Like bitch are you also gonna defend spending 10 bucks on a pack of Pokemon cards
>>
>>10925413
I don't hold a grudge. Like I said you were WAY better off spending your allowance on arcade games than on fucking Pokemon cards or something. But to try and argue arcade games were not wallet cleaning machines is disingenuous. The people holding a grudge are the ones in this thread feeling personally attacked when you point this out
>>
>>10926406
Only if you don't follow Japanese arcade etiquette. Where you leave the machine after you used one continue and let other people have a chance to play it instead of keep hogging the machine and feeding it.
>>
>>10923443
>make players keep feeding quarters when they start losing
Lots of arcade games actively discouraged that. They made recovering from death extremely hard to send you the message that you should leave the machine and let other people play. Continue spam is not how arcade games are meant to be played.
>>
>>10926437
Yeah right. No one buys your bullshit
>>
>>10926443
You never played a single classic Konami, Irem or Taito shooter.
Why are you even in this thread?
>>
>>10926447
No one gave a shit about classic shooters in the west.
Your anecdotal evidence of shooters from 3 developers
vs
Every other arcade game
>>
>>10926449
Those were some of the biggest companies in the arcade market by popularity and revenue.
Gradius and R-Type are some of the most influential arcade games of all time.
You really don't belong here.
>>
>>10926437
>>10926447
Shmups that spit out a full power upgrade as reward for giving them another quarter? Those games? Yeah right.
>>
>>10926458
Gradius, Darius, R-Type and the secondary shooters from those devs don't do that. It's also never seen in Compile, Toaplan and other classic devs' games.
It's a relatively recent mechanic that gained popularity in the mid 90s.
>>
>>10926451
>most influential
Clearly not or else you wouldn't have to point them out to make your case.
Clearly you're just grasping for straws
Now, do I think more of them should be like those games you mentioned? Yes. Are they? No
>>
File: cap.png (39 KB, 824x262)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>10926461
Every major video game company was hopping on Gradius' popularity and trying to imitate it when it came out.
>>
If we're talking value, most console games back then were $100 adjusted for inflation or something, right? It was really ridiculous

I'm not old enough to give an educated opinion about prices back then because I was too young
>>
>>10926464
My bad. I thought shmups were kinda whatever in the west, but I guess every arcade game after that was just aping Gradius. You had Mortal Kradius, Street Fradius II, Teenage Mutant Ninja Gladius, Time Crisdius, and I guess Donkey Kong?
>>
>>10926471
Fighting games are nothing like Gradius, but they're obviously not meant to be bruteforced with infinite continues either. The main purpose of those games is to be played competitively. Story mode was entirely secondary.
Beat 'em ups and lightgun games are designed to be 1cc'd just like shmups, unless you're on an emulator with infinite credits coin feeding can only get you so far.
>>
>>10926484
>coin feeding can only get you so far
Yeah, to the ending
>>
>>10926465
>If we're talking value, most console games back then were $100 adjusted for inflation or something, right?
Yes. They ranged anywhere from 60 to 80 dollars.

>I'm not old enough to give an educated opinion about prices back then because I was too young

Arcade cabinets were actually the best way for kids who grew up poor to have access to video games. All you need is a quarter.

To own a console, it required you to pay an upfront cost of around $300 dollars. Then pay around $60 dollars per game. For a poor kid, that upfront cost just wasn't possible when the family lived on paycheck to paycheck and having bills to pay.

But you might be able to scrounge up a few dollars and go to the local arcade. Then stretch out your money as much as possible. The arcade gave access to video games to poor kids who otherwise would never be able to play.
>>
>>10926495
>Yeah, to the ending
If you suck at fighting games, then the CPU is going to kill you no matter how much credits you feed. Especially if the CPU difficulty was set to maximum.
>>
>>10926532
Monkey and typewriter. I don't know shit about n00tral and f00tsies and frame data all that shit and I can still beat Gill by pressing continue a dozen times.
>>
>>10922425
>so many zoomers view arcade as mindless quarter munchers
Are they?
I doubt that they think about arcade games at all.
>>
>>10925640
I never beat a lot of games I owned. I had zero video game pride outside of multiplayer for one thing, back then it wouldn't stick in my craw at all not to beat Jaqio or Dracula because I would go outside and play with my friends and forget videogames exist then just never get back to it
>>
>>10924560
That shit is completely wild to me. Who are these people who buy all these games and don't play them? Not collectors, people who keep buying new games and then play them just a little bit, and then never again?
>>
>>10926461
Your proud ignorance is not an argument.
>>
>>10926849
It's Steam. People buy a game for like a dollar when it's on sale and then forget about it.
>>
>>10924908
Rote memorization for things like action and platforming was always lazy and shitty design, you're playing a videogame, not watching a movie.
There's no real element of skill to a game like Dragon's Lair, it's a cartoon with a Simon Says attached to it, and that's fine as a novelty, but you don't come back to that one because of its gameplay, because it doesn't have any.
>>
>>10926857
You'll see this on Playstation and XBox too.
>>
>>10926869
Mega Man is all about memorizing patterns and it's a great action platformer.
>>
>>10926875
That's not a mindless rote memorization game.
>>
Why did arcades stop being profitable?
>>
>>10926882
Mega Man is more memo than most arcade games goober
>>
>>10926893
Consoles got better and kids stopped going outside
>>
>>10926893
Too many distractions in the home.
>>
>>10926615
This. People who think they're mindless quarter muncher are people who actually played arcade games because they were in fact quarter munchers
>>
>>10926852
what ignorance? where does this come from that gradius inspired other arcade games? that's nonsense. I mean some of them, sure, but most? No
>>
>>10926893
Because home gaming not only caught up with arcades on the technological level, home gaming could offer not just the same kind of arcade fun (with actual arcade games getting better and better home releases), it could increasingly offer better and better versions of all kinds of different long form games which simply can not be implememted in an arcade setting.

I could go to an arcade to play Crazy Taxi, Super Street Fighter 2 : Suck My Nuts Tournament Edition, Metal Slug, or Puyo Puyo, but I can also just play them at home without paying up every time, or at my friend's house (who usually doesn't ask for money first). I can also play Sim City 2000, Diablo, Ultima 7, and Quake, in the comfort of my home, but not at an arcade, nor does the arcade have any direct counterparts, because you can't have some stand/sit by a cabinet for five hours.

A lot of the purpose of arcades was offering something you couldn't get at home, but as consoles, computers, and even handhelds kept getting more and more powerful that specific purpose vanishes.
There's of course other aspects to arcades, but playing special games was always the main goal, and arcades largely stopped being very special.

I think that arcades can still work in a limited capacity, as in new ones, not just appreciation for the good old classics, but I think they would need to be more complex experiences which aren't logistically feasible in a home setting (not easily anyway), things which are special and really worth seeking out.
This might however make them more expensive investments, and less flexible, in the sense that you couldn't necessarily have that classic thing where any random laundromat or fast food joint plops down an After Burner machine in a corner.
>>
>>10927140
Arcades still offer a balls to the wall experience that console/pc games will never have, not everyone is into muh immersive snoozefest.
>>
Same reason retards buy corn syrup mix and mid tier whiskey and drink in a dirty badly lit living room instead of a polished hardwood bar with mood lighting and soft music surrounded by their peers being exposed to spirits they would never buy a whole bottle of out of pocket.
>>
>>10926437
>Continue spam is not how arcade games are meant to be played.
"The way it's meant to be played" doesn't mean shit, except for mid-late-'00s Nvidia.
Arcade games are a business. They're supposed to separate the clients from their money in exchange for a pleasurable time. What constitutes "pleasurable" might differ from one culture to another, but the end goal is the same.
>>
>>10927284
Yeah tendies are the guys hanging out in a wood grain paneled man cave with the painting of dogs playing poker on the wall drinking a scotch that tastes like swamp gas
>>
File: Fv6JhVPaAAAuVCr.jpg (166 KB, 900x593)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>10927318
>"The way it's meant to be played" doesn't mean shit
It does. Game design can actively incentivize or disincentivize players from using continues.
Back when arcade games were huge people waited in line to play new releases. Machines generated more money by letting everyone play rather than keeping a single player for hours, and the customers who loved the game and wanted to master it would always return anyway.
Spamming endless continues is a phenomenon of the emulation era, not something that actually happens in arcades.
>>
Still waiting for an explanation why these games being pay-per-play in their physical form 30 years ago makes them not worth playing now
>>
>>10926869
Reflex games aren't movies
>>
>>10927254
You aren't getting me, the ability to get those balls to the walls action games at home, and to comparable fidelity, means that the primary incentive of arcades (special games you can't really get at home), starts to vanish.

The not-arcade kind of games are just in addition to that, because it means you can have more than just your arcade favorites, which matters to a lot of people. That also matters to people who don't like arcade style action, but such is life.
Being frank, seeing the directions which AAA gaming has been heading in the past decade I'm glad these games are not sullied by that, and you should be too.

Can you imagine your favorite beatemup turning into some pay2win balderdash? Like actually needing to pay micro transactions to get ahead, which would be worse than the laziest quarter munchers of olde, and you can be sure that they would aim to make it DEI compliant too.
>>
>>10927420
>ability to get those balls to the walls action games at home
Except arcade philosophy is pretty much dead because everything is about progression illusion now.
Home gaming also completely lose the social aspect and unique peripherals.
>>
>>10922628
>t. filtered by garegga
>>
>>10927578
NTA, but while what you're saying is absolutely true, I get the feeling that he's talking about home console ports of arcade games, which started getting passable, by "kid who just wants to have fun with the game" standards by '95 or so. And we still get great ports of games you probably haven't played even today. M2 is still working through CAVE and Toaplan's libraries.
>>
I rarely visit this board but I just want to say I read through some of the responses in this thread. Many of you have mental illness and have an irrational hatred of arcade businesses.

Video arcades were fun and had their place history during the peak of their time from the 1970s to 1990s. Sure there aren't as many around anymore and they aren't as prevalent (like how they used to be in every grocery store, Pizza shop, and restaurant) but arcades still exist today. They fill a niche and are still important.

I also question if many of you even went to arcades during their peak years. Many of you are just writing deranged responses that aren't tied to reality. In short, Some of you need to chill out.
>>
>>10922425
Those two separate descriptors are not mutually exclusive. They had the best hardware but cost a lot to produce with the idea that they'd made the money back eventually. Why do you constantly ask insidious bitch ass questions like this to confuse people? Fuck off.
>>
Appreciation of these games isn't generationally restricted but you can't imagine how it was unless you were there when arcades mattered, around '79 - '83.
>>
>>10923751
Very based
>>
>>10927970
Exactly. You could get a good port of Crazy Taxi at home, you didn't need to go to arcades to play that kind of game anymore, and you could get good ports of the various fighting games too.

Again, arcades lost their main draw, and these days the much larger audiences don't have the same love for many of these kinds of games (regrettably), so it's unlikely that we will get something like that again. Never say never though.
>>
>>10927970
>>10929184
>1995
Nah, Arcades didn't die in the West until Dreamcast came out in 1999, and it was truly arcade perfect. That's when I and my friends stopped going to arcades because Dreamcast graphics was more than enough and provided excellent entertainment. Lots of fun was had with Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, etc.

But the cracks in the arcade market were starting to show in 1995 with PS1 and N64. The games didn't look as good as arcade games, but going from SNES 16 bit 2D games to 3D games in a single generation was a MASSIVE improvement and took everyone by surprise. Ports of Ridge Racer, games Tekken and FF7, etc were making people stay home more often.

Back in the 1995/1996 I would say I split my time between the arcade and home console gaming. An even split. Arcades still had better graphics and those huge fun cabinets. But the gap was closing with consoles.
>>
I am 35 and arcades were more or less dead by the time I was 8
>>
>>10922425
True, but they were still quarter munchers. They were designed to boot all but the most autistic and dedicated off in 3 minutes or less. Most arcade games are a ton more enjoyable if unkike them in the dipswitches/service menu.
>>
Dude play Eugene Jarvis game and tell me they aren't.
>>
>>10926849
A lot of people who buy games aren't necessarily hardcore gamers. They might buy a game that looks neat, play it for 30 minutes every few days before bed, then either get bored with it after a few weeks, find it too difficult to complete, or buy and move on to another game.
>>
The cabinets were expensive enough that you could tell a shop owner was pretty passionate by the games they had and if it were the full cabinet, stuff like soul calibur 2, house of the dead, hydro thunder, or classic bangers like Ghosts n Goblins
>>
>>10922521
all atari games were "quarter munchers". atari developers actually talk about this in atari's VAX mail backups from 1980s. they tried to justify it in a way that it takes skills and totally not chance! and kids will be happy to pump in coins if the game is entertaining enough! because entire industry was facing huge problems and accusations that pinball developers experienced. they didn't want to be compared to the gambling industry and face regulation and lawsuits because atari was already in a world of shit at that time (1984). the only thing keeping the atari name alive and giving atari any credibility was its arcade division.
>>
>>10929197
> dreamcast
> arcade perfect
that never happened.

> But the cracks in the arcade market were starting to show in 1995 with PS1 and N64
that never happened either. tekken literally used PS1 hardware.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namco_System_11

arcade industry was still pumping out games at a million miles an hour until the late 2000s. industry is still releasing games every year so but not in the same numbers of units that were sold 20 years prior. maybe stop getting your information from youtubers?
> be youtuber
> well.. my mame rom collection only goes to 2010 so that means arcade industry is completely dead, guys! lmao. donate to my patreon to feed my meth and alcohol addiction
anyway. arcade industry is still very much alive and isn't going anywhere. people are still producing new pinball machines every year too.
>>
>>10931491
lol. Is this how can't-git-gud skilllets cope?
>>
>>10931503
You are not as smart as you think. The arcade industry crashed in the early 2000s. Arcade companies and arcade divisions closed down across the world.
>>
The unironic result of poor gatekeeping. If you shut everyone out, but then refuse to teach the new members the CORRECT history of things, everyone ends up with a perverted view of your hobby that will become increasing hard to correct.

Same thing happened to D&D. Grogs poorly explained why "Nat 20" was a good thing and pretended like THAC0 was hard to do, so modern players act like "Nat 20" means "I win" and genuinely assume THAC0 needed scratch sheets and table memorization to perform when it was literally the modern AC system, but backwards.

There's going to come a day when Zoomers are going to believe that every game made before 2000 was either a badly programmed media tie-in or made specifically to sell strategy guides.
>>
>>10922521
Name an arcade game you can win safely with just one credit.
>>
>>10931742
Any arcade fighting game like Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Street Fighter, Marvel VS Capcom, etc.
>>
>>10931742
Metal Slug if you are skilled enough.
>>
>>10931742
tetris the grand master
>>
>>10931742
Basically any game under a 10 (out of 50) on the Japanese shmup difficulty wiki is consistently clearable by anyone with hands and a little practice, and that alone is probably close to 100 games
>>
>>10932693
Also if you go down to the 1-3 range there are like 20 games that are feasibly 1ccable first try
>>
>>10922425
Maybe because loopy "arcade style" gameplay is associated with mobile slop now. To them premium gaming is a triple a open world shooter with lots of custcenes they can binge in a couple days and forget about.

No shooting? Boring combat.

No open world? Too linear.

And literally any story regardless of quality, so long as it is presented as the focus, is good.

There are lots of games with good stories but feature brief or infrequent cutscenes and get swept over because the game isnt trying to psyop them into thinking its a good story -- modern movie slop literally insists upon itself even without the journos and marketting hyping it

So without these things arcade games look crusty, boring, and hard

Oh also they really, really dont want to die in a video game more than a couple times. They want to just be able to get through it and be done with it.
>>
>>10922425
They died before I could experience it and whenever I'd see a machine in a lone location it was no better gameplay or graphics wise than a PS2 or PS3
>>
>>10926509
>But you might be able to scrounge up a few dollars and go to the local arcade. Then stretch out your money as much as possible. The arcade gave access to video games to poor kids who otherwise would never be able to play.

As one of those poors, this is what I lived for. And so I *quickly* learned the games that gave the best bang for the buck and used my scant few coins on those. The ones where difficulty was cranked or was just full of bullshit that killed you? No one was using those cabs. The operators swapped them out for FAIR games because they made more money.
I always remember the day I saw SSF2T for the first time and I wondered how on earth the machine was unoccupied. I mean you had to queue for SSF2 or Alpha, what gives? Then I played it, and realised. Shit was not fun and that's why it was being ignored.
Same for the Atari and Midway games. Too much bullshit, too much credit stealing. The name drew in the boomers, but they played other games and the machines would go unrepaired when they broke.
>>
>>10931503
The dreamcast was the Naomi with less sound RAM to account for not having a disc to stream music off of. If you're going to split hairs about converting ROM to GD-ROM as not being arcade perfect then this isn't going to be a sensible debate. The DC also had a ton of CPS2 games and the only thing wrong with those was that the CPS2 resolution was not easily represented by the standard modes of a DC so you always got some pixel doubling artefacts but other than that it was as arcade perfect as straight emulation. I don't know how much more you could ask for.

The System 11 was playstation adjacent, not a playstation. The CPU was faster, the graphics rasteriser was significantly faster... Basically it was a super-ps1 and why every game on it had to be reduced to support the PS1. Even the super optimised Tekken3 was a ground up rewrite that ran at medium-res and still had to lose the models and background details.
They would then go on to create an even faster version of the hardware that was even harder to backport to PS1 and that's why soul calibur was a DC game and not a PS1 game. Hell, the DC was even an enhanced port.
>>
>>10934248
>The System 11 was playstation adjacent, not a playstation.
And the NAOMI was Dreamcast adjacent, not a Dreamcast. The graphics chip was significantly faster, more cache, more RAM, etc. Basically it was a super-Dreamcast and every game on it had to be reduced to support the Dreamcast.
>>
>>10922425
>mindless quarter munchers
yes most arcade owners set the difficulty as high as possible to eat your coins/tokens.

>when in reality they were the premium experience in terms of gameplay,
maybe but consoles and PC gaming got better.
> challenge,
well definitely if the scum owners keep jacking the difficulty and raising prices!
> replayability,
no. unless you buy one yourself and put it in your home.
> and tech?
again consoles and PCs got better. PC/LAN gaming almost killed off arcades for a short while.
>>
>>10934267
The GPU wasn’t significanty faster, the textures were slightly reduced on a few of the DC ports buts that’s about it.
>>
>>10926465
They could be $100 NOT adjusted. I remember going up to Canada as a kid and seeing DKC for 100 loonies.
>>
>>10931742
Drahon's Lair
>>
>>10934267
>The graphics chip was significantly faster
What
>>
>>10934306
>>10935693
It was. Anyone who isn't a drooling retard could have told you that, and you choose to be one.
>>
>>10934267
>>10935739
Lmao. Naomi GPU is exactly the same as Dreamcast except that Naomi GPU has more RAM.
>>
File: Screenshot 2024-05-16.png (95 KB, 1097x578)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>10935913
>>
>>10935739
>>10934267
Did you get Naomi mixed up with Naomi 2?
Naomi games got direct ports to DC with no compromises.
Naomi 2 games went to PS2/GC
>>
>>10927405
Did someone say that? Well, there is something to be said about that, which is that the games are not balanced properly unless the dev actually bothered to make a good home port of the game
>>
>>10922425
Have you seen the sorry state arcades are in now? They are just gacha games and elsagate mobile game tier trash. Also arcades were only good in the 90s. Any time before and after the 90s arcades were just designed to steal your money rather than being a good experience especially in America.
>>
>>10927405
>Still waiting for an explanation why these games being pay-per-play in their physical form 30 years ago makes them not worth playing now

1. From a gaming standpoint, they are still fun. Although some Gen Z kids might not be able to get over the old graphics.

2. However from a business standpoint, inflation makes running these machines from a single quarter per play not worth it. Long Gone are the days of a single joystick style cabinet earning tens of thousands of dollars in a few weeks.
Today , the money they earn from traditional coin-drop won't even cover the cost of electricity to run the cabinet. Let alone the cost of maintenance on a 30 to 40 year old machine. Keeping arcade CRTs running are a problem now too (Unless you have a big stockpile of replacement CRT parts).

The only way these older cabinets can still work are in Freeplay arcades like Galloping Ghost Arcade where they own hundreds of cabinets, in Barcades (but the owner still must work on maintenance), or in "Arcade Museums".
>>
>>10922425
That's simple; they weren't. Consoles rapidly overtook arcades with deeper game design and richer mechanics after the PCR, MD and SFC. Hope this helps OP.
>>
>>10936308
Namco started vacuuming up arcades all over in the 90's and filled them with Namco-only machines and ticket dispensers. Soon after, home consoles offered better quality for people to stay home and play games.
>>
>>10936324
>arcades were only good in one specific time period thanks to a specific company.
thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>10936324
>Soon after
This was an ongoing process since the start of the 90s. It took the whole decade to complete.
>>
>>10922425
I miss the sounds of the arcade more than anything bros. Nothing like the hollow bassy sounds of 20+ cabs all woofing for your attention. I'm just glad I got to experience it.
>>
>>10924313
Same bro, Chun Li is the best. For a long time I thought no girl likes that until I was cuddling with one and she suddenly sticked hers into my mouth like she was fingering it
Didn't feel anything then but I think it's a turn on for me now
>>10922425
I don't know, Metal Slug series seems pretty reasonable in the difficulty curve, and you can get a second player to help
>>
>>10936338
Gets annoying when one game is turned up way louder than the others though
>>
>>10934267
>And the NAOMI was Dreamcast adjacent, not a Dreamcast. The graphics chip was significantly faster, more cache, more RAM, etc. Basically it was a super-Dreamcast and every game on it had to be reduced to support the Dreamcast.

You are confusing Naomi with Naomi 2.
>>
>>10936308
I'm surprised to see someone feel arcade games were more money-stealy in the 80s than the 90s.
>>
>>10938289
>*elephant noises intensify*
>>
>>10922425
Because they were both of those things at the same time.
>>
>>10931742
Daimakaimura
>>
>>10922425
Because they've never experienced the world without their smartphones or home consoles. Zoomers are the first generation to grow up completely with smartphones since birth. Millennials were the ones that experienced the world before and after smartphones took over. And before and after the internet took over.
>>
>>10922425
Because for most people they were in fact mindless quarter munchers. A lot of them are straight up pay to win, you can't lose as long as you keep paying. What do you call that, the pinnacle of challenge?
>>
>>10946808
no you call that being out with your friends eating pizza and playing a 3-4 player game and not wanting to have anybody get left out while you’re all still playing, so you keep feeding credits when somebody dies.
But I understand if you’ve never experienced that.
>>
>>10946827
Not him, bur arcades weren't a thing in my country, so we had to do those things with other kinds of games at home.
>>
>>10946805
The iPhone was released in 2007
>>
>>10948043
That was almost 20 years ago.
>>
>>10948073
The real question is are people born in 2000 zoomers?
>>
>>10948086
>17
Yeah. Like he said. Almost 20 years ago.
>>
>>10948086
Yes.
>>
>>10924000
>Japanese arcade
>healthy community
HA! Japs arcades are notoriously unwelcoming and everyone is passive aggressive. The behaviour in Jap arcades is astoundingly bad, they treat machines like shit and each other like shit.
>>
>>10948201
>>10948176
>Zoomers are the first generation to grow up completely with smartphones since birth
>Smartphone didn't exist when they were born
>>
>>10948732
Anyone who is 17 years old or younger grew up with tablets and smartphones.

>Smartphone didn't exist when they were born
So you never heard of a Blackberry huh? Now I know you are a zoomer. Get out.
>>
File: 1708793682138387.jpg (17 KB, 396x396)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>10922425
You proved your own point. You made a generalization of a group of [thing], and concluded all members of [thing] must be like that. Zoomers probably played an arcade machine or two at a movie theatre or a hotel, spent a buck, and died a few minutes into the game. They then concluded, based on their own experience, that all arcade games must be like that, and thus no arcade games are worth the time. It's an unfortunate conclusion, because there's tons of great arcade games that are very much worth the time. But there's also a ton of shit arcade games that are absolutely a waste of money. Consider also, that the average zoomer has access to a myriad of far more graphically and acoustically superior games at home or even on their phone these days. Graphics and sound were 2/3 of the main draw of arcade machines, with the last 1/3 being gameplay. You can argue for as long as you want over gameplay, but there is simply no arguing that computer graphics and sound on PC are way more impressive than anything you'll find in an arcade these days. And because arcades are no longer social hubs like they used to be, what does an arcade offer a zoomer that they can't get at home, or on their phone?
>>
>>10922546
Aka western games for western insects
>>
>>10922425
>it's another "arcade games were intentionally designed to be 1CC'd despite the fact that there's literally ZERO profit for the developer to do so" thread.
it's threads like these that reaffirm my belief that if anyone from the any of the vidya boards on 4chan or even reddit ran a video game company they'd be out of business within a year and would quite literally have nothing to show for it.
>>
>>10950741
if I ever had to run a video game company from the business end I am certain it would kill any interest I still have in games
>>
They were fun to play but I never took them seriously, they kind of were "quarter munchers" for me but I've never heard of that term but I didn't go to arcades all that much either. I'd just play something if I was in an arcade or if I was waiting for something, to try something new or see how far I can get because I knew I had no hopes of 1CCing anything so it was just about beating a personal record for me.
The sight of an arcade cabinet is always a nice and nostalgic feeling though, I respect businesses that bother with them as opposed to just vending machines.
>>
>>10950741
Any good game was designed to be 1CC-able, and if a game can't be 1CCed, then it's shittily designed. But yes, the main goal was to make money, and most arcade profits were generated by casual gamers who just liked dicking around on arcade games for fun without obsessing over getting a 1CC or dominating the arcade's high score record.
>>
>>10950789
>uh good games are games conforming to this challenge invented after the fact and bad games are those that don't conform to this challenge invented after the fact
A reminder that all Neo Geo games were designed around the FOUR credits clear.
>>
>>10950741
>>10950789
The people who would be willing to attempt a 1CC would become the “whales” who dump the most money into a game, because it takes practice to get a 1CC.
In a game without resets on death, a newbie would dump relatively few credits into a game to simply see the ending as compared to somebody training on the game.
>>
>>10924256
Space Invaders
>>
>>10922650
>>10922687
Meow :3
>>
>>10950823
This 100%. The general public did not care about 1cc nonsense.
>>
>>10953073
Holy cope. Giving you more credits is for practice, but the endgoal is at bare minimum to 1CC
>>
>>10953082
>the endgoal is at bare minimum to 1CC
When was the last time you went to an arcade? 99% of kids playing at the arcade did not (and still don't) care about some arbitrary 1cc goal that you are obsessed about. They probably don't even know what 1cc is. They just want to play games and have fun.
>>
>>10953252
Our most vocal 1CC autist is a literal zoomer who has admittedly never gone to (and outright refuses to go to) an actual arcade
>>
>>10953252
Western arcade gaming was about mindless quarter munching and featured stand-up cabinets, low-quality sticks and buttons, button mashing gameplay, non-default dip switches, and oftentimes neutered/unbalanced western ports. In comparison, Japanese arcade gaming was viewed as an art-form and a display of mastery with sit-down candy cabinets, high-quality sticks and buttons, autofire circuits (many with dials for different autofire rates), default dip switches, and the authentic Japanese version the developers intended.

So it's night and day difference, fortunately the games still hold up today and there are very few Japanese arcade games that require knowing Japanese to enjoy.
>>
>>10953293
There he is. Let's see if we can trigger him into having another meltdown.
>>
>>10953298
First I would actually have to care about the opinions of shitters with no clears
>>
File: 1687365740698.jpg (380 KB, 1183x743)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
>>10953293
You are delusional. Japenese arcade gaming was just as bad as Western gaming. They rode their machines hard, tossed them out when they broke, and ordered more from the factory. The Japanese are probably even worse than Western arcades because their humid weather wrecks electronics that aren't stored in climate controlled buildings, and they don't have much warehouse room to store their old machines. Most Japanese arcades dump their old machines.
>>
>>10953313
>zero clears
You mean like yourself?
>>
>>10953334
>you're wrong because... because here's an image of a few dilapidated candy cabs!! HA!!
>>
File: 1685708022890.jpg (768 KB, 1275x1781)
768 KB
768 KB JPG
>>10953293
>featured stand-up cabinets
You don't think Japan had stand up cabinets?
>>
>>10953348
You know nothing about arcade preservation. Asian culture and Japan is the worst when it comes to taking care of their own arcade cabinets. Their weather is horrible on electronics, and they don't really have a culture of preservation when it comes to amusement machines like arcades. Outside of a few retro arcades run by fans, Japanese businesses have destroyed nearly all of their famous deluxe arcade machines. They view them as disposable and do not care about keeping them.

Meanwhile America and Europe, while not perfect, actually embrace the idea of preserving arcade machines. It's why we have so many museums in the West. We care about the past a lot more.
>>
>>10953082
I'd say the minimum is to win with any number of credits. After that, you can set higher goals, like 3cc or the lofty 1cc. I consider deathless runs to be an excessive, unnecessary challenge in many cases.
>>
>>10922425
>quarter munchers
>premium experience in terms of gameplay, challenge...
i dont think these two things are mutually exclusive. especially not with golden era arcade games.
defender/stargate was absolutely designed to steal your lunch money. iirc the stats, even back in the 80s, were ~45seconds to a minute per quarter on average. didnt stop it from being an absolute blockbuster hit, and it also doesnt exclude it from being a phenomenally well-designed game imo

a lot of old arcade games are like this
i think the difference is in a combination of the philosophy/expectations of the player, and the capabilities of the hardware.
i remember seeing some interviews with the old atari devs. i forget his name unfortunately, but it was the guy who ported missile command for 2600 then eventually left to go start activision
he was talking about his favorite cabinet, missile command
he said something to the effect of
>old games didnt want you to win
>they didnt allow you to
>and we didnt care
>you played until you couldnt anymore
>until all that was left was a nuclear wasteland and 8-bit wind (referring to the game over screen of missile command)
im paraphrasing a bit, but thats the gist of it
single screen arcade games often wouldnt allow you to "win"
you always lose, its just a matter of "when"
>>
>>10953902
I'm talking about when the cabinets are still in active use. Japanese arcades (the ones that are still left) have much better cabinet cleanliness and maintenance than in the west, both now and back then.
>>
>>10953910
3CC isn't a thing and 1CC being a "lofty" goal is laughable.
>>
>>10922425
You can't replicate the arcade experience at home. You can play the games, but it's not the same as having a finite amount of quarters to spend. Playing on MAME with each game essentially on free play DOES make it a mindless experience. There's no risk involved. You're not as invested as you would be if you only had 5 bucks to spend until it's game over.
>>
>>10954541
You still can. You can use infinite credits or save states to practice, but when you go for a real run you restrict yourself to a single credit or try for a certain score.
>>
>>10954558
That's still an artificial limit. It's not the same as "this is my last quarter, I HAVE to get this right". The feeling of accomplishment is different.
>>
>>10954575
It's really not a big deal unless you are a little kid who only has a bit of money that mommy gives you. It's not like it's your last quarter ever, you can just come back later. No different than "I only have enough time for one more run, so this better be the one"
>>
>>10954541
There was a social element too that zoomers will never get to experience. I remember seeing crowds gather around kids who were amazing at a game, then they'd finish and turn around and there would be all these people congratulating them. There's all these little details that just can't be replicated. You remove them and it just isn't as fun.
>>
>>10954596
No one is saying playing an arcade game at home on an emulator is identical to coming to the arcade with $10 worth of quarters with you and your friends on a friday night.

But there are many arcade games that are fundamentally solid games that still hold up well today, and you can choose any game you want, any region/version you want (western versions of many games were changed for the worse), whether you want to use autofire or mash, any pad/stick you want, and use save states to practice or restrict yourself to only a certain amount of credits.
>>
>>10954596
I was playing X-Men one time as a kid with 5 other people and we ended up beating the game, and a crowd formed around us cause they wanted to see the ending and they were cheering us on. If I was playing it at home, it would not have been memorable at all. It would have been just another game to beat.
>>
>>10954620
>I can't play a game unless I'm with five of my buttbuddies with a crowd of faggots cheering me on!!!
grow a fucking pair.
>>
File: pass the dust.png (186 KB, 298x300)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
i slept in an arcade
>>
>>10954630
>friends? Who needs them? Those grapes were probably sour anyway
>>
>>10954541
sounds like you have poor impulse control
>>
>>10954661
You can pretend to limit yourself but it's still just pretending. A real limit is different.
>>
>>10922425
Because they're literally retarded and been programmed from birth on dogshit modern console game design. They LITERALLY don't know any better.
>>
>>10954630
>I can't play a game unless I'm holed up in my bedroom, playing on an emulator, absuing savestates for "practice," using custom rapid-fire, and controlling everything with a keyboard!!!
Unironically learn how to play arcade games.
>>
>>10954667
All I hear is cope
>>
>>10955332
Yeah let me just travel 5000 miles to play on a cabinet in Japan to get the authentic experience.

or let me travel 50 miles to play pac-man, donkey kong, and dig dug in some gay barcade
>>
>>10954489
You weren't even alive when this was happening. How would you know?
>>
>>10955739
are you pretending to be retarded or something?
>>
>>10954489
>Japanese arcades (the ones that are still left)
Which are a few select areas compared to the past...

>have much better cabinet cleanliness

Do you just make random shit up? Based on what? The one specific arcade you went to in the past?

Contrary to popular belief, true Japanese arcades (not candy shops with one or two cabs) during the 1980s were considered seedy, dirty, had smoking allowed, and had a bad reputation amongst the public. Parents didn't like their kids going to arcades.

>and maintenance than in the west, both now and back then.

What a load of nonsense. This is entirely dependent on the arcade owner.
>>
>>10955785
depends on location, but tons of western arcade had fucked up buttons/levers, non-default dip switches, and almost all universally were stand-up and lacked autofire. Japanese cabinets were maintained much better back then and now.
>>
>>10955813
>depends on location,
Stop here...

>but tons of western arcade had fucked up buttons/levers

Again this is entirely location dependent. I could easily post pictures of poorly maintained Japanese cabinets.

>non-default dip switches,
The dip switch settings are entirely up to the owner of the arcade.

>and almost all universally were stand-up
Is this supposed to be a con?

And the West had far more deluxe sit down arcade if you wanted them. There were many Deluxe sit down racing arcade cabinets and sit down light gun game cabinets that were not sold in Japan. They were only available in the West.

If you want a sitdown cabinet then go buy an Arcade1up cabinet.

>and lacked autofire.
This was NOT an official feature the arcade manufacturer installed. Sega, Namco, etc...did not install autofire in their official cabinets. No one did.

>Japanese cabinets were maintained much better back then and now.
Pure conjecture.
>>
>>10955785
>>10955849
TIME TO FUCKING TENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSS!
>>
>>10955849
>Again this is entirely location dependent. I could easily post pictures of poorly maintained Japanese cabinets.
*On average*, Japanese cabinets were better maintained.

>The dip switch settings are entirely up to the owner of the arcade.
No shit... and more western arcade operators set non-default dip switches.

>Is this supposed to be a con?
Yes, Japanese candy cabs were more comfortable and had better buttons and levers

>This was NOT an official feature the arcade manufacturer installed. Sega, Namco, etc...did not install autofire in their official cabinets. No one did.
Blatantly wrong. It was common for Japanese arcades to have autofire circuits as early as the mid-late 80s, and it was extremely prevalent by the 90s.

Now stop replying to me with your braindead drivel you fucking retard
>>
>>10955882
>*On average*, Japanese cabinets were better maintained.
Based on what? Do you have any actual data?
Outside of expensive game centers, my personal experience in Japan has been the exact opposite.

>No shit... and more western arcade operators set non-default dip switches.
You can't have it both ways. It's entirely up to the owner. Full stop. Nothing else can be said.

>Yes, Japanese candy cabs were more comfortable and had better buttons and levers
This is personal preference and irrelevant.

>Blatantly wrong. It was common for Japanese arcades to have autofire circuits as early as the mid-late 80s, and it was extremely prevalent by the 90s.
Wrong. No official arcade cabinet manufacturer ever made autofire features for their cabinets and I challenge you to prove me wrong. There was no *official* Sega, Namco, SNK, etc...autofire. Case closed.
>>
>>10955901
>trying to have a serious conversation with the 1CC MUH ARCADE CULTURE zoomer
Don't waste your time.
>>
>>10955901
>UMMMMM DO YOU HAVE A HECKIN' PEER-REVIEWED STUDY ON THE CLEANLINESS AND LEVEL OF MAINTENANCE ON WESTERN VS. JAPANESE ARCADES!!???
holy shit, shut the fuck up you retard. Japanese cabinets were and still are much better maintained and the buttons and levers used are far superior and what all the superplayers use. Western players are absolutely fucking irrelevant in terms of arcade WRs. Arcades back in the day frequently had cabinets with fucked up levers, sticky buttons, and non-default settings.

Western arcades were about quarter munching, button mashing, non-default settings, and shitty western versions of games (which were oftentimes poorly rebalanced to appeal to the western arcade culture) and this is reflected in western scores being essentially non-existent outside of the 70s and early 80s Golden Era.

>No official arcade cabinet manufacturer ever made autofire features for their cabinets and I challenge you to prove me wrong. There was no *official* Sega, Namco, SNK, etc...autofire. Case closed.
Did I say official you fucking retard? Arcade operators implemented autofire circuits into their cabinets for different games, this was *extremely* common in the 90s. Developers also knew this and balanced games around autofire and featured autofire in the attract screen.

You are one dense motherfucker.
>>
>>10955923
>Japanese cabinets were and still are much better maintained and the buttons and levers
Not in my personal experience of going to Japan.

>Did I say official
You said that Western cabinets lacked the autofire feature. I am pointing out that Japanese cabinets also lacked this official feature too.

If we start including third party "hacks and add-ons", then its pointless to discuss any further. Any arcade business (both in Asia and the West) could order them. It was entirely up to the business owner, and this isn't worth debating about.
>>
>>10956008
The guy you're arguing with has genuine autism. Just let him go.
>>
>>10956008
I never said "feature" nor did I say it was "official" retard. Japanese cabinets had autofire circuits which were very common, starting in the mid-late 80s and especially in the 90s. Devs were well aware of this fact when designing their games. Autofire has also been standard in WR play for all three of the major scorekeeping authorities (Gamest, Arcadia, and JHA)
>>
>>10956024
No official arcade cabinet from the factory had autofire.

I am not discussing unofficial hacks or add ons.

There is nothing else to debate about it.
>>
>>10956097
You are a retarded shitter with zero clears and no concept of arcade culture. Know your place and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>10956106
I travel the world for work. I've visited Japan, Korea, UK, and all over the USA (not Alaska). I visit arcades several times a month.

When was the last time you even WENT to an arcade?
>>
>>10956097
>No official arcade cabinet from the factory had autofire.
Cave games (among other shmup devs) often have an autofire option in the service menu.
The official control panels for the cabinets the developers expected these games to be distributed in such as the Taito Egret series do not have a two button control panel option. It's three, four, or six.

When these games were set up the third button was almost always used. I challenge you to find me a photo of a shmup game which has the autofire option in the service menu running in a Japanese arcade with only two buttons installed on the control panel.
>>
Tour of HEY in Akihabara. The shmups section is near the start of the video.

https://youtu.be/kNBpkVfhrQY?t=61

Every shmup cabinet has an autofire button installed. Nearly all are using the in-game autofire button option.
>>
>>10956405
To be fair, You are talking about games that have autofire availavle as part of the software. As in its part of the official game.

The other anon is talking about 3rd party hardware add-ons to force games to have autofire. He says "autofire circuit" which is an actual piece of unofficial hardware that is connected to the machine.
>>
>>10956425
Anon's statement was precisely
>>No official arcade cabinet from the factory had autofire.
From any practical point of view this is false given that
1. the game board includes the option for an autofire button
2. it became common practice to enable this autofire button when installing the game in the generic white sit-down cabinets typical in Japan.
3. developers knew about points 1 and 2 and subsequent releases were developed with the idea in mind post-1997 or thereabouts.
>>
>>10956435
Donpachi had autofire in the menu in 1995.
There were probably even earlier examples.
>>
>>10956435
>the game board includes the option for an autofire button
Which is not an autofire circuit. Of course some games were programmed with autofire, some even limited this autofire to a certain rate, which indicates that the developers had autofire in mind, and intentionally capped it to a rate that's slower than could be achieved by tapping.
>>
>>10956368
The arcade culture expert seems to take it as a point of pride that he's never even been to an arcade, probably because he's like 20 years old and afraid to leave the house.
>>
>>10956446
Once again.
No mention is made of an external autofire circuit. Only "autofire" which encompasses software autofire solutions.

Revise your statement or admit error.
>>
>>10956368
And yet still haven't cleared a single game lmao

>>10956441
Rayforce and Raiden 2 international as well.

>>10956446
>some even limited this autofire to a certain rate
the suckers would mash or play with low autofire. the actual players would all use autofire, which is why all scorekeeping authorities (Gamest, Arcadia, and JHA) universally accept its usage.
>>
>>10956405
An autofire circuit is a physical piece of hardware made by a 3rd party company that hooks up into an arcade cabinet. It makes games have autofire when they wouldnt normally have it. Obviously games with autofire built-in do not count.
>>
>>10956452
>No mention is made of an external autofire circuit.

See post >>10924442

>Japanese arcade gaming was viewed as an art-form and a display of mastery with sit-down candy cabinets, high-quality sticks and buttons, autofire circuits

>Revise your statement or admit error

The only error made was by you.
>>
>>10956435
You aren't following the converation.
This anon >>10924442 was the first to mention autofire circuits. These are hardware products that arcade businesses bought for their cabinets and installed it.
>>
>>10956591
>>10956578
Nowhere in that statement was it ever stated or even implied that autofire circuits were officially installed from the PCB manufacturer you fucking retard...

The point is it was part of the Japanese arcade culture, was known by the devs of the games, was factored into the design and balance of the game, was standard common practice, and was accepted by all of the major scorekeeping authorities.

Just stop fucking typing you fucking moron. You don't have any clears, and you don't have any idea what you're talking about. You genuinely thought Japanese players were sitting here mashing on all their cabinets like autofire circuits hadn't been commonplace starting from the mid-late 80s.
>>
>>10956605
I am discussing stock cabinets, so why even mention Autofire circuits? They are not part of the official cabinet. It's something the arcade owner adds themselves.
>>
>>10956578
There is no "see post". There is only the single statement.
>>
>>10956613
>It's something the arcade owner adds themselves.
Post mid-90s it was the expectation from any shmup developer that their game would be placed in a cabinet with autofire available if they didn't put it into the game to begin with.
>>
>>10956617
I don't care about autofire and not sure why you keep pushing the discussion in that direction.

I only care about how the original *cabinet* was released. How the manufacturer originally made the cabinet. The cabinet did not come with autofire *circuits*. No cabinet did ASFAIK.

But feel free to show me a Sega, Namco, SNK, Capcom, etc autofire branded circuits and I will retract my statement.
>>
>>10956628
No one is arguing about that or even mentioned that outside of you, nor is it relevant to the discussion at all you pedantic fucking retard.
>>
>>10956613
The discussion was about Japanese vs. Western arcade differences and culture. The fucking technicality of who installs the autofire or whether it's software or hardware autofire is completely fucking irrelevant to the discussion.
>>
>>10956632
You mentioned lack of autofire circuits as a negative. I am telling yiu that no cabinet officially came with autofire circuits. So your point is irrelevant. No first party arcade cabinet manufacturer made them.
>>
>>10954491
>3CC isn't a thing
yes it is, lots of games give you 02 extra credits for that reason.

>and 1CC being a "lofty" goal is laughable.
wrong again, it's the gold standard for beating a game.

There are exceptions to what I said of course. Out of this World/Another World is one of my favorite games, and it gives you infinite retries with no credits, and it's generally easier to avoid deaths in a cinematic platformer. For all those reasons, a deathless run takes the place of 1cc for OotW, but those are exceptions rather than the rule.
>>
After reading this thread, I get the feeling that one single anon is overly focused on arcade shmups, is obsessed with autofire, and probably hasn't been to an arcade in years. He most likely plays at home. I don't understand why he is so hyper focused. There are thousands of arcade games. Most are not shmups. He is acting weird.
>>
>>10956689
The point is it was very prevalent in Japanese arcades and basically nonexistent in the west. Then you say "I am discussing stock cabinets" when that's... not what the discussion was about at all you dumbfuck, nor is it even relevant in the slightest.

It doesn't matter whether the autofire was software or hardware, or whether it was implemented by the dev, the manufacturer, or the arcade operator. What matters is that it was common starting around the mid-late 80s and extremely prevalent by the 90s, was widely known by the devs of the games, was factored into the design and balance of the games, was standard common practice among players of all skill levels, was accepted by all of the major scorekeeping authorities, and vastly improved a player's enjoyment of the game.

You have a very skewed perspective as you only know about shitty western arcades, and western arcade gaming was about mindless quarter munching and featured stand-up cabinets, low-quality sticks and buttons, button mashing gameplay, non-default dip switches, and oftentimes neutered/unbalanced western ports. In comparison, Japanese arcade gaming was viewed as an art-form and a display of mastery with sit-down candy cabinets, high-quality sticks and buttons, autofire circuits (many with dials for different autofire rates), default dip switches, and the authentic Japanese version the developers intended.

>>10956741
What the fuck are you even talking about? Autofire is prevalent among many other genres as well like beat em ups, fighting games, and run and guns, but it's most commonly associated (and most necessary) with shmups. Shmups are also the genre most negatively affected by the differences of western arcades, but there were regional differences among every genre out there, ranging from very minor cosmetic changes to massive balance and playstyle changes (mostly negative), along with the general mentality with regards to 1CC and scoreplay being drastically different.
>>
>>10922913
yeah, I use “coin gobbler” to avoid embarrassment
>>
>>10922425
The phrase "premium experience" has come to mean "pay more for a less interuptions," and that perfectly describes arcades.
>>
>>10957162
You can't compare Japanese cabinets to Western cabinets, and complain that Japanese cabinets supposedly (without proof) had more custom mods. It has to be stock cabinet VS stock cabinet.

Also, there isn't really a Japanese cabinet VS Western cabinet debate. The same company made both of them. For example, Sega made both the plastic Astro City cabinet and the wooden cabinet they used in Western countries. It's the SAME company.
>>
>>10958906
Yeah anon acts like there's this big divide. When it was same company making both cabinets. Lmao.
>>
>>10936308
I call them "anklebiter casinos" when they're all flashy ticket games and new Raw Thrills trash
>>
>>10958983
It's nothing new. We had them back in the 90s.
>>
>>10958906
>It has to be stock cabinet VS stock cabinet.
No, actually it doesn't you fucking imbecile. That's not what the discussion was about at all you dumbfuck, nor is it even relevant in the slightest.

It doesn't matter whether the autofire was software or hardware, or whether it was implemented by the dev, the manufacturer, or the arcade operator. What matters is that autofire was common in Japan starting around the mid-late 80s and extremely prevalent by the 90s, was widely known by the devs of the games, was factored into the design and balance of the games, was standard common practice among players of all skill levels, was accepted by all of the major scorekeeping authorities, and vastly improved a player's enjoyment of the game.

You have a very skewed perspective as you only know about shitty western arcades, and western arcade gaming was about mindless quarter munching and featured stand-up cabinets, low-quality sticks and buttons, button mashing gameplay, non-default dip switches, and oftentimes neutered/unbalanced western ports. In comparison, Japanese arcade gaming was viewed as an art-form and a display of mastery with sit-down candy cabinets, high-quality sticks and buttons, autofire circuits (many with dials for different autofire rates), default dip switches, and the authentic Japanese version the developers intended.

I have to repeat the exact same thing because you are so fucking retarded and cannot comprehend what the context of the discussion is. The technical specifications of a stock cabinet as it arrives at the arcade or whether an arcade manufacturer also sold some cabinets to the west are completely fucking irrelevant to said discussion. This is about what was actually in the arcades, used by the player, after any modification done by the arcade operator, and how it affected the overall culture of the arcade scene in each region.
>>
>>10958906
>For example, Sega made both the plastic Astro City cabinet and the wooden cabinet they used in Western countries. It's the SAME company.
Are you a fucking retard? The fact that the same company is designing different fucking cabinets for each should fucking clue you in that there are differences between each region and how they viewed the arcade scene. Each region had different cabinets, different regional versions of the game, different autofire modifications, different dip switches (either due to regional differences or western operators in general were more likely to use non-standard dips), and different mentality towards playstyle and mastery. That is my entire fucking point you moron.
>>
>>10922425
A quarter muncher means you have to spend a lot of quarters to play for hours, which is true for every arcade game, it's how they were designed. That has nothing to do with the games' quality.
Kindly go back and take some English classes.
>>
>>10959213
Arcade cabinet manufacturers made these universal cabinets. They were not involved with autofire settings.

Autofire dip switches were made by game manufacturers for their game boards. Game boards could be swapped out.

And each game board dip switch settings were decided by the arcade owner on a case by case basis.

There are too many variables.

Therefore you can't compare or complain about autofire settings in Japanese VS Western cabinets.
>>
>>10959317
>Arcade cabinet manufacturers made these universal cabinets. They were not involved with autofire settings.
Yes, retard, I am aware. I never said otherwise, nor is that relevant.

>Autofire dip switches were made by game manufacturers for their game boards.
Yes, and these also had regional differences. For example, Raiden DX international has button C for autofire, while JP version doesn't (since autofire circuits were so common).

>And each game board dip switch settings were decided by the arcade owner
Yes, retard, I am aware. I never said otherwise, nor is that relevant.

>Therefore you can't compare or complain about autofire settings in Japanese VS Western cabinets.
We don't need full fucking data for every single cabinet in existence in Japan and the US to draw conclusions about differences between the regions. Japan had autofire circuits in many of their cabinets starting in the mid-late 80s, and especially prevalent in the 90s, we know this from first hand accounts, from archival footage, and from recordkeeping which noted if autofire was used. Meanwhile, autofire was basically non-existent in the US, and we also know this from first hand accounts, archival footage, and from the lack of any autofire in recordkeeping; the main scorekeeping authority (Twin Galaxies) didn't even allow autofire in pretty much any circumstance.

Similarly, we use first hand accounts, archival footage, regional differences, and score archives to note that western arcade gaming was about mindless quarter munching and featured stand-up cabinets, low-quality sticks and buttons, button mashing gameplay, non-default dip switches, and oftentimes neutered/unbalanced western ports. In comparison, Japanese arcade gaming was viewed as an art-form and a display of mastery with sit-down candy cabinets, high-quality sticks and buttons, autofire circuits (many with dials for different autofire rates), default dip switches, and authentic Japanese versions the developers intended.
>>
>>10959317
You dense fucking retard: Japanese arcade operators installed autofire circuits, and we know these to be very prevalent in Japan. American arcade operators universally did not install autofire circuits, and we know these to be basically non-existent in the US.

Yes, we can fucking compare American vs. Japanese arcades, even if they are not exactly the same. The fact that they aren't the same, IS WHY WE ARE FUCKING COMPARING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. Get that through your thick fucking skull you fucking retard.
>>
>>10959423
Autofire hardware circuits are custom mods done by arcade some businesses. It was not sold by official arcade cabinet manufacturers. Its a custom mod.

1. You can compare stock vs stock cabinets.

2. OR custom vs custom cabinets.

Pick one.
>>
>>10959472
Yeah I don't really get the other guy. He's complaining about custom mods like it's decided by a large company. It's like complaining that some cars in another country don't have 22 inch rims on their tires like some of the custom cars in your country. It just doesn't make much sense.
>>
>>10959472
You're just talking in circles and you are either trolling or just very, very fucking stupid and don't understand anything I'm saying.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you: yes, autofire circuits did not come stock from the factory on the PCB. Yes, arcade operators installed these autofire circuits to attract business. That is not fucking relevant in any way to the discussion.

The point is that arcade operators IN JAPAN installed these IN JAPAN. NOT IN THE FUCKING US. Autofire circuits were nearly non-existent in the US. There was a different culture and a different approach/mentality to arcade gaming in the west compared to in Japan, and this implementation of autofire circuits was only one difference of many between Japanese and western arcades.

>2. OR custom vs custom cabinets.
ATTENTION DUMBFUCK: CABINETS WITH CUSTOM AUTOFIRE CIRCUITS BASICALLY DID NOT EXIST IN THE US. THAT IS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT YOU FUCKING INVALID.
>>
>>10927383
actually it became a thing in the late 80s. Gauntlet, Rampage, TMNT, Smash TV, etc.
>>
>>10959494
???????????????????????

I am not complaining, what on earth are you fucking talking about? I am saying that Japanese arcades frequently had custom autofire circuits, US arcades did not. This was one small difference of many between arcade culture in the west and Japan.

Japanese players of all skill levels from novice to superplayer would use autofire, and games (mostly shmups) were designed around this. They were able to achieve a high level of mastery and significantly higher scores. Meanwhile, the west did not have autofire, which made the games more difficult, more tedious and exhausting, and caused players to see the games as cheap or unfair, and players did not optimize them to nearly the level of Japanese players. This contributed to western players viewing western arcade games as more cheap, disposable, mindless entertainment compared to Japanese players. There many other reasons that also contributed to this view such as inferior western versions, less standardization among dip switch settings by arcade operators, and inferior cabinets (stand-up cabs with inferior buttons and levers).
>>
>>10929184
playing crazy taxi at home with a controller is far different from playing in a sit down cab with a real wheel pedals and gear shift.
>>
File: cj.jpg (97 KB, 800x450)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>10936308
Not all of them.
>>
>>10959058
You would usually still see one or two games worth playing. My local bowling alley used to have Dynamite Cop, DDR, two pinball machines, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Crazy Taxi, Jambo Safari, Daytona USA, Target Terror, and many more games. Now it's just all ticket games
>>
>>10959504
I am not the anon you are replying to but your post makes no real sense. It's half rambling. If you know the differences between cabinets are because of cultural differences then it's not a negative or a con. Shmups (except for a few titles) were not that popular in Western countries. So there was no need to install custom autofire circuits. You are trying to compare Apples VS Oranges. It makes no sense. They have different purposes.
>>
>>10959598
Shmups like Raiden and Aero Fighters were quite popular in the west and those both benefit massively from autofire. And if they aren't popular, then why have a cabinet for that game in the first place? If you already have a cabinet dedicated to that game, implementing an autofire circuit is fairly trivial; it just comes to whether you (the arcade operator) actually *want* autofire for that cabinet. But western arcade gaming was all about having cheap, unfair, quarter muncher games that you just mindlessly fed quarters while spending a friday night with some friends, so autofire ran counter to that.

Regardless of why the west chose to not implement autofire, it was a further contributing factor in the rift in arcade culture and mindset for Japan vs. the west.

>You are trying to compare Apples VS Oranges. It makes no sense. They have different purposes.
The fuck are you even trying to say? Raiden in US vs. Raiden in Japan is apples vs. oranges? But you do raise a good point. Raiden in the US did have a different purpose: mindless button-mashing entertainment where you just spam quarters and be amazed at the graphics and effects as you game over in stage 2. Meanwhile in Japan, superplayers were optimizing their routing, finding hidden tech, and collectively sharing recoveries and strategies to reach later loops and higher scores.
>>
>>10959616
Nah. He said a few titles like Raiden were popular. You missed it. Shame.
>>
>>10959521
You listed not having custom autofire mods installed in cabinets as one of the many negatives of western arcades. It's not a valid complaint. They are completely different countries with different tastes in games. Not a valid complaint.
>>
>>10959685
I know you don't actually play or clears these games, but a shmup like Raiden is designed and balanced around autofire, and it vastly improves the experience.

a) mashing is not a relevant skill for anything besides party games.
b) mashing is not a fun or enjoyable game mechanic for vast majority of players.
c) mashing is awful for your hand, your wrist, and your input device.
d) mashing is exhausting especially for longer sessions.
e) mashing is less viable on controller and keyboard compared to a stick/cabinet.
f) vast majority of games have fire rate caps well beyond human levels (15Hz, 20Hz, 30Hz).
g) many games feature shot limits which are only relevant at speeds which can only realistically be achieved with autofire. getting in close proximity to an enemy allows you to pointblank them, leading to risk/reward gameplay.
h) many Japanese cabinets even in the mid-late 80s had autofire circuits and developers knew this (attract screens would feature inhuman levels of autofire). Also, PCE (shmup-heavy platform) and NES Advantage had built-in autofire in the mid 80s
i) autofire is the Japanese standard (and has been for many decades) adopted by vast overwhelming majority of the Japanese arcade/shmup scene, and even a large majority of modern western players.
j) emulation, along with almost all future ports, support autofire.
k) autofire creates consistency across runs and consistency within competition.
>>
>>10959691
None of this is related to what was being discussed
>>
>>10959691
Why do you have an entire essay ready to be copy and pasted about autofire?
>>
>>10959691

What's next?

Do you support macros too?

Why bother with multiple inputs when you can just program combos into a single button press?
>>
>>10959504
>NOT IN THE FUCKING US
And why does that matter so much to you?
You're implying US arcade culture is the authority.
>>
>>10956628
>I only care about how the original *cabinet* was released. How the manufacturer originally made the cabinet.
For the great majority of games where autofire would a point of discussion there was no single original, dedicated cabinet. The boards were sold stand-alone and expected to be installed in any of several different generic JAMMA cabinets.
>>
>>10922425

oh fuck off bro my local aladdins castle would turn every game up to 7 or 10 or whatever

did you really ever go
>>
>>10960571
>You're implying US arcade culture is the authority.
I think your helmet is a bit too tight if that's somehow the conclusion you came to
>>
>>10960702
Then what are you implying instead? Why are you so focused on the USA over Japan?
>>
>>10960859
If your reading comprehension is so low that you still don't understand then I don't know what else to tell you. I reiterated it only about 50 times so far
>>
>>10959958
Mashing the same button repeatedly for 30 minutes is not comparable to a combo.
>>
>>10922425
Because they grew up in a period where arcade machines were mindless quarter munchers. The closest thing they've had to an arcade is a dave and busters where it's basically just a ticket casino.
>>
>>10961002
No, you haven't. You've never explained why you're so USA focused and disregard everything anons tell you about Japan.
>>
>>10961096
>The closest thing they've had to an arcade is a dave and busters where it's basically just a ticket casino.
Dave Busters don't exist in 80s and 90s SEA monkeries, zoomers pretending to be old...

>>10958983
Raw Thrills is or was kinda saving arcades when nippons arcade game makers gave up on exporting their games.
>>
>>10953902
>Meanwhile America and Europe, while not perfect, actually embrace the idea of preserving arcade machines. It's why we have so many museums in the West.

i agree. the ONLY videogame museum that bothered to tour my SEA cunt was run by a united statian man.
>>
>>10961187
It's better to have no arcade games than new Raw Thrills trash. Never seen one person on a Raw Thrills machine at the movie theater, they're a waste of space. Would be better to get any old arcade game on Craigslist
>>
>>10961172
Summarize your full argument and why it is important to you personally.
>>
>>10961002
You didn't explain why you are obsessed with the US vs Japan.

>>10961187
>Raw Thrills is or was kinda saving arcades when nippons arcade game makers gave up on exporting their games.
Yup. There was a solid 10 years (2000 to 2010) where Japan basically stopped exporting their arcade machines and even providing warranty support to their older machines. There are almost 7000 registered arcades in the USA that still need games. Raw Thrills saved the industry and became the biggest arcade company in the West during that time.

>>10961413
Explain your obsession in 2 sentences.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.